Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 08:35 PM

sufferer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerDad View Post
Agreed.

State that you won't be returning as you don't believe you were treated respectfully when you broached the topic, thus you reacted accordingly. But offer $100-$200 to make it go away. State you will mail in a cheque within the next week (maybe two).
I tried but they want the full amount.I am in a fix.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:44 PM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sufferer View Post
I tried but they want the full amount.I am in a fix.
Look over the contract with a fine toothed comb. Is there anything that was in the contract that they said they would do or an part of it they didnt meet? I am thinking you may be screwed if they lived up to their end.

Have you talked to the highest person there or just the lower people on the totem pole? I am trying to think of ways to help you out but I am just not coming up with anything.

Is there anything in there with temination clauses?
Old 01-24-2013, 01:56 PM

DowntroddenDad will become famous soon enough

I'm sorry, I don't understand why you are in a fix. When you agreed to $400, you must have thought you could afford it. The price hasn't gone up, it just didn't go down.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:41 PM

dinkyface will become famous soon enough

If a vendor discounts something after you have bought it, it is COURTESY, not an OBLIGATION for them to offer the discount to you. Unless your contract indicates otherwise.

You were not wrong to ask for that COURTESY (and so the outcome often depends on how nicely you ask), but in my opinion you were wrong to get all snippy about it and refuse payment.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:49 PM

Mess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadenough View Post
It's not worth it for them to put it into collections over a few hundred bucks. It's certainly not worth going to small claims court either.
Generally it costs nothing to go to small claims if you have a clear cut contract. It is a sacrifice of half a day.

It often costs nothing to send something to a collection agency, especially if you are a regular customer. The agency will work on a percentage of what they collect.

Look at it this way: Let's say your apartment is offering a couple of months free parking to new tenents as a way to get full occupancy. Does that mean you should stop paying for parking? No, that won't stand up. You signed up for an agreed upon price for an agreed upon service. If they are providing the service, you provide the price.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:00 PM

mcdreamy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Generally it costs nothing to go to small claims if you have a clear cut contract. It is a sacrifice of half a day.
I've been there, on numerous occasions - these SCC judges are there to settle/negotiate at the settlement conference, they don't want this small stuff wasting time, even with a clear cut contract. I'm sure they'd encourage the studio to accept a settlement.

OP - honestly, I'd let it go then, and not worry about it. When and if they are ready to settle, offer them a fair settlement number.

If it goes to collection - do the same. Offer a settlement.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:26 PM

mcdreamy is on a distinguished road

OP - want to clarify - Send them a settlement offer in writing, just pop it in the mail and keep a copy. Then you have some proof you've offered to settle, for future use.

Then, I'd let it go until they respond.
Closed Thread