Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 11:18 AM

hadenough is on a distinguished road

Clearly, the matter was not dealt with appropriately in the first place, and now it is too late to remedy (that aspect).
Old 01-22-2013, 11:34 AM

HammerDad will become famous soon enough

My daughter has been in dance for 5 years now and is now in competitive. Our dance studio offers incentives for the recreational program to get kids in. If you sign them up in December/January for the upcoming September, you usually get a better deal then signing them up in August for the same start date.

IMO, you likely don't have a leg to stand on. You agreed to pay the price setout in your contract and your refusal to pay the remaining amounts puts you in breach.

There was an offer (dance for $X per month), you accepted and the consideration was dance and the fee. Should this end up in small claims court (which is pretty unlikely) you would likely lose.

I know it sucks to see offers and discounts when you are paying the regular rate. But that is way it works. They are incentives for new customers. I don't see my phone or cable company giving me all the same deals they offer new customers.....it is the companies perogative who they make such offers to.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:38 AM

hadenough is on a distinguished road

On that note, if you don't ask; you don't get Rogers was quite accomodating to a friend of mine who called them looking for some "breaks." You never know unless you try
Old 01-22-2013, 12:02 PM

mom2three is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sufferer View Post
I enrolled my kids in dance class and gave them post dated checks.Sep-Dec and Jan-july.In dec they came up with 50% off and i demanded my 50% off from jan-july.They refused and I pulled my kids out and put a hold on my checks.Now they are threating to put me through collection as i signed a contract with them
1) can they put me through collection.if yes then what will happen
2) can they ruin my credit without my social number.I have a good credit hostory with 0 strikes on my credit
3) does that contract hold any weight when it wasn't even filled properly.can i report them top consumer affairs.

Isn't it unfair on their part to ignore their current customers and offer discounts to new customers.why I should be obligated to pay full price for a service that can be received at half the price.
Just for info the amount is 400$.

Any experiences/comments/advise ??
Thanks in advance
If I was in your shoes I would go back to the studio with my tail between my legs, apologize for MY behaviour, ask that the children not be punished for my actions and to please allow the studio to continue offering dance classes to my children. Then, pay up.

It is not a huge amount of money. However, the studio is well within its rights to demand payment from you. You terminated a contract for which you had no valid reason to end the contractual relationship and they are entitled to a remedy for breach of contract.

If the studio has threatened to bring the matter to collections it is likely that they will sue. If you opt not to take the action above (put children back in dance class) and you do receive a letter for payment, it would be wise to pay it.

Refusal to make payment can result in the matter to be brought to Small Claims and there the studio can ask for pre and post judgement as well as their costs of the proceeding, thus becoming costlier than what you are now required to pay.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:05 PM

Just a couple questions.

Was this a written contract? If yes, does it have any early termination provisions?
Old 01-22-2013, 07:00 PM

sufferer is on a distinguished road
Default Thankyou To all The posters

I appreciate all the advises/suggestions and critcism..
Humm So I understand that I was wrong here asking for the discount.......OKay I accept but the way the studio owners reacted was totally unprofessional.They were rude and not at all flexible.
So going back to the studio is certainly not an option and I had my kids enrolled to a different place so certainly they are not losing anywhere

Being a single mom I certainly though it was fair to save few hundreds.
I paid 400 and now it was on 200.(second term only jan-june)
I paid the same 400 for sep-dec and i certainly not demanding any discount for that
The same studio was running a 25% off if registered before a set date and to me it was very fair as i didn't enroll early and i loose the discount.
But seeing late comers pay half the price was unaccepatable to me and I do admit that not in my knowledge but it can be a policy at some places.

So now back to my question Will they put me through collection and if they did will they take me to small claim court.....And will my credit be messed up with all bureaus

I have a very good credit and how much will that effect .I certainly can't afford another 400 to give it to the studio right now.

Also @ HADENOUGH there is written on the contract No refunds after the first class.
I complained to BBB and they refused to listen to them too.
I might report them to the consumer affairs.As per me on the contract it should have been specified that studio might run discounts and once signed you won't be eligible for them
When signing for the contarct I ask her will you be running any discounts( as i lost 25% off) to which she replied YES NEXT YEAR IN AUG.

I might be wrong but they should have used some business sense too .Its a new studio and certainly is not doing excellent .So they could have offered me something for next year to keep my business..Well may be I am wrong again
Old 01-22-2013, 07:17 PM

sufferer is on a distinguished road

@HaMMER DAD...THIS IS TOTALLY ACCEPTABLE you enroll early and there is a early bird discount.
@hadenough you are right and rogers did give me 30% off when I called for a nice deal being there customer for over 6 years.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:25 PM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

did they say that the 50% discount was for new members only?
Old 01-22-2013, 07:51 PM

mcdreamy is on a distinguished road

Why don't you just call them, and offer a settlement? Offer them $100 to walk away from the whole mess. I find most businesses are prepared to cut a deal, they don't want to send your account out either.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdreamy View Post
Why don't you just call them, and offer a settlement? Offer them $100 to walk away from the whole mess. I find most businesses are prepared to cut a deal, they don't want to send your account out either.
Agreed.

State that you won't be returning as you don't believe you were treated respectfully when you broached the topic, thus you reacted accordingly. But offer $100-$200 to make it go away. State you will mail in a cheque within the next week (maybe two).
Closed Thread