Buying clothes etc. with Offset support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying clothes etc. with Offset support

My 2 daughters spend about half time in each parent's home. Their father and I went to a mediator a few years ago and agreed there would be no child support in either direction. I've been shopping and paying for 100% of all clothes, footwear, haircuts, school trips etc. Their father refused to contribute financially or spend time shopping.
    Now my ex is asking that I pay offset child support. For those of you in an offset child support situation who buys clothing etc.? Will I be expected to continue paying for everything? Do both parents buy things? If yes, how do you get reimbursed?
    Thanks

Originally posted by LovetoDance View Post
    I've been shopping and paying for 100% of all clothes, footwear, haircuts, school trips etc.
    Lots of paying parents like to talk about how they have paid for things. However, paying for things is not a replacement for paying support. It is all about control. When you pay support, the recipient has control over the money and decides what kind of clothes to buy, etc.

For those of you in an offset child support situation who buys clothing etc.? Will I be expected to continue paying for everything? Do both parents buy things?
    You buy the clothes you need in your house. If the father is keeping the clothes you buy, then go to Walmart and purchase some cheap clothing and send your kids to the other parent in that clothing. You can get a Tshirt and some pants for $10 total. That's not exactly bank breaking.

Assuming you have shared custody, the father will have to buy at least some clothing. If he asks you to buy clothing for him you can politely decline.

My ex constantly sends the kids back to my place with clothing in an advanced state of disrepair. I used to stress about it, I don't any longer. I just throw those clothes into the garbage.

If yes, how do you get reimbursed?
    You will not get reimbursed. Budget appropriately.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X