No announcement yet.

Ex not paying S7 - options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well...if the amount you're paying is higher than what is in your current order, resulting in him either paying more or receiving less, could you not file that order with them as a way to force him to come to the table to have the order updated?

Comment

^^^ Indeed I could. MEP would collect the amount I paid several years ago, rather than the (higher) amount I am paying now, as the gap between our incomes has increased. That might light a fire under him. However, the order says that we agree to pay the amount appropriate to our current incomes, so if I dropped back to my income at the time it was signed, I'd be in the wrong, and I'd prefer to stay in the right. But it's a tempting thought.

Comment

True. But you could put the difference aside and pay the arrears when it's sorted out.

Comment

Would paying the $75 a year be worth not having his bs arguments about what decimal point you go with for calculation???

Comment

Good for you for going in person Stripes to sort this out. Did you get to talk through bullet-proof glass or were you in a regular office? They must get some real crazies there.

Pros of going through MEP is that it of course separates you from dealing directly with your ex.

Cons are that if you have a problem with their calculation (yes they make errors all the time) you have to go in and deal with them again. DO NOT take the advice from MEP people over the phone if you can help it.

Comment

There was a transparent (bulletproof?) wall between me and the MEP staff person, and there were no chairs in the interview room, perhaps to encourage people to get out quickly. The person I spoke to was quite confusing, I had to say several times "Let me repeat this back to you to be sure I understand". I suspect someone who wasn't as assertive would have left being no further enlightened than when they went in.

The person I spoke to was also from the Enforcement office rather than Recalculation, which I think is what I needed. But Recalculation doesn't do in-person meetings - everything has to be phone or email.

Comment

Yes it is indeed bulletproof. I've been in that room before. I had such a problem one year with MEP that I literally booked an appointment for every Monday morning at 10:00 AM (for 6 weeks in advance) until I was finally referred to a higher-level, and more informed, individual. It can be a very frustrating process.

Do persist until you are satisfied you have correct answers to your questions. I found the best way to communicate with them was by a combination of email and phone (I always recorded the name of the individual I spoke with). They have questionable mathematics skills IMO. I think even my ex would agree with that.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X