Travel Consent Letter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel Consent Letter

Do I absolutely need a travel consent letter signed by the father? I have a long form birth certificate that does not list his name, and no conditions on any of the orders stipulating that I need a letter from him?

The father is placing demands to sign the letter that are not within norm. I've provided all that I'm obligated to provide him. Unfortunately my legal counsel is away the next few days, and I'd like to know what if any recourse I have.

Do you have a SA? What is the custody and access?

Comment

I am not sure what an SA is. I have custody and his father has liberal access. I am not prohibited from cancelling, given enough notice is given. In this case, I am only required to provide 14 days, and I have given more than one month.

Comment

Do I have to provide a copy of the passport?

Comment

What kinds of demands is he making?

Comment

He's demanding changes to terms proposed in Minutes of Settlement outside of my legal counsel. He's pretty much holding the consent over till I give him his demands and a copy of the passport. Some in my family are apprehensive of giving a photocopy of the passport, and I'm waiting on my lawyer to advise me. With regards to the other demands, I've already advised I will not negotiate on any without my legal counsel.

Comment

Is your trip going to interfere with his access?

Everytime I have traveled with my children I have left copies of their passports with family members incase there was an emergency.

I won't not agree to changing terms of minutes of settlement that is not an appropriate request in exchange of the signing the travel document.

Giving him the contact information for where you are staying, the dates of travel, specific agreed upon make up access dates for any missed access because of the travel dates, is what is reasonable.

Comment

He cannot unreasonably withhold consent, and this would definitely be unreasonable. You can file a motion to do away with his consent.

Comment

Yes it does interfere with his access, it's his short weekend (Friday after school to Saturday noon), and for which time is accounted for later.

He has the full itinerary, and the only outstanding issue is the copy of the passport. The reason for my family is reasonable, given some of his past behavior.

We have a motion upon my return to address the matter of the Minutes of Settlement.

Comment

Ok. Next question: 14A or !4B motion? Can I do an ex-parte motion?

Comment

Why not just give him copy of Passport? What can one possibly do with a photocopy of Passport?

Why is the father not listed on the birth certificate?

Comment

As he was openly claiming not to be the father, I chose to not acknowledge him as I am allowed under law. A blood test proved paternity.

The concern is that he can get a passport by claiming to have lost it and providing it. He has no ties to Canada. No steady job or assets.

Comment

That is false he can not just get one based on a claim to have lost it. There are many things you have to do to get a passport. There is nothing that he can do with a photocopy.

You are asking to take child on his time.

His asking to change the minutes are over reaching and not reasonable.

Giving him the copy of passport is not that big of a deal.

You would not be able to do a motion without notice I believe as he has a right to go to court and say his side of things.

Once a blood test proved paternity you should change the birth certificate. I was able to take my ex to court and the judge gave her a hard time and made her sign the form right there in the court room regarding the birth certificate.

Comment

A travel consent letter typically includes the child's passport number etc. Give a copy to dad.

Comment

Originally posted by Dadx5 View Post
                              That is false he can not just get one based on a claim to have lost it. There are many things you have to do to get a passport. There is nothing that he can do with a photocopy.

You are asking to take child on his time.

His asking to change the minutes are over reaching and not reasonable.

Giving him the copy of passport is not that big of a deal.

You would not be able to do a motion without notice I believe as he has a right to go to court and say his side of things.

Once a blood test proved paternity you should change the birth certificate. I was able to take my ex to court and the judge gave her a hard time and made her sign the form right there in the court room regarding the birth certificate.
                              The judge gave him the option of requesting the birth certificate to have it changed 7 years ago, and not one peep from him since then. That's how much he cares about that issue. You're a better father than him.

I have no choice but to take the child on his time as he managed to get an order without notice to me that gave him access every weekend. The OCL recommendation changes that, and my minutes of settlement completely reflects that. He doesn't want to go to court to resolve the access visit issue, because it gives him leverage over my movement.

Having said that, he is given rescheduled time over following weeks. I have no issue with the copy of the passport. I want to know legal ramifications. This man has put me and my family through a lot, including alleging abuse the last time when I wanted to travel with my son in Ontario to visit family. Proper notice was given, and reschedule time offered.

Needless to say that it's a volatile situation.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X