Doc appnts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doc appnts

I am going through a divorce and custody battle. Child lives primarily with me and ex has access. I have booked an appointment with a doctor. It is for a routine check up. I notified my ex about the appointment. He has withheld his consent and told me I can't take the child to the appointment. Can he? Will this work against me if I take child to the doctor against his consent?

Just be polite in all your communication about this.

"If you have some concerns about the appointment, you are more than welcome to come! It will be at 123 Hula Street at 2pm. The name of the physician is Dr. Fell."

It is not the end of the world if he brings you to court over this. Somebody who would say no to routine doctor's appointment is going to be a uncooperative about many things. Best to have the conflict over this appointment, since he is so obviously wrong.

Unethical advice: You could write the sweet letter, then call him and try to provoke him into bringing you to court. "You can't stop me, you're a pathetic coward who is afraid of court". That would be hilarious.

Comment

Him denying you access to the doctor appt would work against him. You are doing what is medically necessary in taking care of your child. Him trying to stop that looks reflects poorly on him

Comment

Originally posted by Alpinist View Post
        Him denying you access to the doctor appt would work against him. You are doing what is medically necessary in taking care of your child. Him trying to stop that looks reflects poorly on him
        Actually... Routine appointments are not required/recommended in most provinces. Unless the child has a special medical need the whole yearly doctors appointment is not necessary.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/is-...-one-1.2017959

Comment

I have a hard time believing that she would ever get in trouble bringing her child to the doctor without consent.

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
            Actually... Routine appointments are not required/recommended in most provinces. Unless the child has a special medical need the whole yearly doctors appointment is not necessary.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/is-...-one-1.2017959
            it depends on the age of the child.

up to the first 3 years- "routine" appointments are recommended by pediatricians every 6 months to assess development.

Comment

Originally posted by Kart321 View Post
              I am going through a divorce and custody battle. Child lives primarily with me and ex has access. I have booked an appointment with a doctor. It is for a routine check up. I notified my ex about the appointment. He has withheld his consent and told me I can't take the child to the appointment. Can he? Will this work against me if I take child to the doctor against his consent?
              Do you have a temporary custody arrangement?

I would follow Janus' route- although if you want to be accommodating- you could ask your ex if there is a more convenient time for him.

Although- during this time (covid)- isn't your check up virtual or over the phone?

Comment

Originally posted by iona6656 View Post
                it depends on the age of the child.

up to the first 3 years- "routine" appointments are recommended by pediatricians every 6 months to assess development.
                Most practitioners follow the Rourke Baby Record for "well baby care":

https://www.rourkebabyrecord.ca/rbr2020/default

RBR is an evidence based medical assessment plan for years 0-5.

From 18 months onwards there are only three clinical encounters:

1. 18 Months
                2. 2-3 Years
                3. 4-5 Years

See: https://www.rourkebabyrecord.ca/walk4

For 0-1 months there are three encounters one being "optional":

1. Within 1 Week
                2. 2 Weeks (optional)
                3. 1 Month

See: https://www.rourkebabyrecord.ca/walk1

For 2-6 months there are 3 encounters:

1. 2 Months
                2. 4 Months
                3. 6 Months

see: https://www.rourkebabyrecord.ca/walk2

For 9-15 months there are 3 encounters two being "optional":

1. 9 Months (optional)
                2. 12-13 Months
                3. 15 Months (optional)

see: https://www.rourkebabyrecord.ca/walk3

If your child is <5 years in age follow RBR. Again, its a guide line rather than a mandate. Parents shouldn't induce anxiety on themselves if they have a healthy child and can't find their way to a doctors office. Especially in a pandemic.

Doctors appointments are often used in an attempt to gather "evidence" against (or for) a particular parent. Doctors are all too often drawn into parental conflict.

In fact parents use service providers (doctors, teachers, etc...) inappropriately all the time: http://www.yoursocialworker.com/s-ar...dragged-in.htm

Just don't turn a doctors appointment into an evidence gathering opportunity. (See linked article.)

Comment

Originally posted by Brampton33 View Post
                  I find that there is such needless animosity between divorced parents, and it often can be de-escalated by simple acts of courtesy. It takes a second to send a text or email to say "Child's next doctor appointment is X date, you are welcome to attend." Likely the ex won't attend unless there are serious concerns to discuss with doc. Then after appointment, simply send a text or email giving update on how it went, and the date of any next scheduled appointments. Takes a second, and saves headaches. Plus, if you are in court, looks good on you for proactively keeping ex informed, and ex can't use that you aren't against you.
                  It's also de-escalated by giving up control over certain appointments. D4's dad and I alternate routine appointments and send emails on the outcome of the appointments. Although- dad usually asks that I take her and update him on the medical stuff. I'm okay with that.

Comment

Originally posted by iona6656 View Post
                    It's also de-escalated by giving up control over certain appointments. D4's dad and I alternate routine appointments and send emails on the outcome of the appointments. Although- dad usually asks that I take her and update him on the medical stuff. I'm okay with that.
                    For healthy children not much churns on who goes to doctors appointments. I agree that rotating them or both parents going should be the norm. So many people unfortunately try to use basic routine stuff to establish themselves as the primary parent. I hate the concept of "primary parent" and its frowned upon these days.

I once heard a judge in Peel loose their mind on a parent who was claiming to be the "primary parent" because they were the parent that trimmed their child's nails and took them for haircuts. The judge lambasted the lawyer for the argument it was amazing.

It boiled down to the fact that they were basic things that any person could do with below average intelligence and that if the child always comes to the other parent with a hair cut and trimmed nails when could the other parent demonstrate their ability to do these basic things? The judge basically looked at the other parent who didn't do these things and suggested that the person (who had very high level of education) didn't appear to be someone that would cut the child's fingers off when trimming their nails. (I believe it was Justice Lemon but, it could have been Mossip. I forget now...)

Comment

Old people have routine checkups.
                      Kids over 6 have hovering parents.
                      I wouldn't invent a reason to take them...its sounds like you are on a path of battling wills.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X