Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for some guidance with prepping for trial (self-represented)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for some guidance with prepping for trial (self-represented)

I am prepping for my trial in June at the court of Queen’s Bench in Alberta for all matters regarding my divorce (Custody, access, spousal support, child support and matrimonial property). My lawyers have depleted me of all the money (liens on the house, line of credit and personal loans) I have over the last 2.5yrs with nothing resolved and I have now been forced to self-represent myself at a five day trial. I have all my documents organized that I intend on using. I’m starting to panic about what I need to have ready before trial. I have got some help thru the family justice’s services at the courthouse but it’s been a minimal. I also have a meeting set up with my previous lawyer to go over some of the missing information I didn’t receive from them next week. Can anyone provide any information to what forms or paperwork I need to have filed before trial? I believe I have to have my “Notice to attend as witness at trial” (CTS3810/form 40) served at least 21 days before trial. (When filling out that form how do I know what day the witness will need to attend?) Thank you very much in advance.<?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

(I am from Quebec)

Normally you need to send all the evidence to the other party before trial so you don't take them by surprise.

On a strategic level, you need to know how much time you have for each part of the trial (examination, cross etc...) and write a script/notes to make sure you cover all the points. Make sure you say everything that needs to be said, there are no do-overs.

Object if her lawyer asks her leading questions (this isn't allowed in Quebec and I think is a general rule). YOU can ask her "mis"leading questions though (which you should).

Know the laws (there aren't many)

Find similar cases on canlii.org and have them as case law to present.

Relax, be calm, you are there to win and everything rests on perfect execution. If you screw up you pay and your ex wins. Get her flustered if you can, and remember by default you will get screwed (lower your expectations) and you'll be happy with the result.

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
      YOU can ask her "mis"leading questions though (which you should).

Know the laws (there aren't many)

Find similar cases on canlii.org and have them as case law to present.
      What do you mean that he can ask "mis"leading questions? So it's only lawyers who aren't allowed, but non lawyers can? If so, that's good info to know.

How does one go about using the case law to present? As referenced exhibits?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X