Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 01:35 PM

representingself is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkbug View Post
As far as the residency requirements, no I didn't lost my permanent residence, but I didn't meet residency requirements according to CRA and Ontario Works. I had to establish a residential address for a period of time before I was able to get GST etc back.
I don't know your story... but I am curious to know why you think you should qualify for social assistance and things like GST rebates, if you aren't a tax paying citizen??

Specifically... why would you think you are entitled to "get GST back" if you didn't pay it in the first place?
Old 07-10-2012, 01:36 PM

Tinkbug is on a distinguished road

You don't have to be a citizen to be paying taxes. I paid taxes. I wanted back track because I never knew I was entitled to such thing since I became a resident of Canada.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:43 PM

Mess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I've had people sign up for this site just to come give me their opinion on my so called abduction.
I've reviewed your previous threads, anyone who replied to you has been an existing member; no one signed up just to attack you.

What is it you want? What is your target, your goal here? First of all on the board, do you want advice or do you want affirmation that you have done nothing wrong?

In terms of court action, again, what do you want?

You want your ex to pay some form of support to you.

You want to base this on a premise of him having been your sponser for immigration to Canada.

You need to go back to your original paperwork; did he actually legally sponser you?

This paperwork would specifiy any time frame that he had to be responsible for you. For example it may say 5 years.

You are working, and fully capable of work. In most cases he is only responsible if you apply for social assistance, then the welfare office (whatever the title in various provinces) would seek compensation from him for any amounts paid to you.

Sponsership, if indeed this was the legal situation, can also help to validate entitlement to spousal support. If this is your path, again, you need to go back to your original documentation to provide factual evidence.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkandimgone View Post
And what of the second child? You mention your first child, custody issues etc related to said child and nothing of the second aside from the fact that your ex originally wanted you to get an abortion. So what's happening with custody/access of the second child?
I ended up having a miscarriage when I had left. I was unable to get progesterone shots that would help me carry the pregnancy as I did with my daughter. That's why there has been no mention of a 2nd child. However I do have confirmation of pregnancy and hospital record of trip to the ER.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:54 PM

I recall one person, I shall not name them but they're even on my feed and only their only posts were towards me.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:54 PM

blinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the rough

I'm sorry you went through that and I'm sure it was very difficult.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:01 PM

There was a sponsorship agreement (contract) that he signed to financially be responsible for me and ensure that I do not go on welfare. His mother co-signed and attached a letter with this. He kept this agreement from me when him and his family removed me from home. I had nothing to do with the agreement it was attached to my permanent resident application when his mom sent it off on my behalf.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:08 PM

Mess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
There was a sponsorship agreement (contract) that he signed to financially be responsible for me and ensure that I do not go on welfare. His mother co-signed and attached a letter with this. He kept this agreement from me when him and his family removed me from home. I had nothing to do with the agreement it was attached to my permanent resident application when his mom sent it off on my behalf.
This would not have been forever. It would have had a time limit. Further, it doesn't mean you are not responsible for finding a job and supporting yourself.

What is it you want? Be specific. You are planning a court action, you need to have an issue, you need to ask for something. What? Detail this. I am trying to help you here.

Again, what was the time frame of the sponsership?
Old 07-10-2012, 02:14 PM

And no im not looking for someone to tell me that I'm wrong or right and I am not looking for someone to agree or disagree with me either.

I except my actions whether they be wrong or right. In my mind at that time I was doing the right thing and I thought I had legit reasons. I understand the impact this has on everyone including my ex, his family, and my daughter not to mention my own family. My daughter is very young so luckily it doesn't have much of an impact, but a future occurence would result in damage to everyone including myself. I'm aware of that.

I'm just trying to make a life here in Canada, but I've racked up my own debt in court costs which have resulted in garnishment. I've married a Canadian, presently pregnant, I have a good job now, a vehicle, established & stable home etc.. I want to do better, but this money is holding a big weight on me and it would be nice to have this theory of sponsorship payments or spouse support be back tracked the hard times I went through. I'm not saying I'm the only one, as it takes two. But I just want to be fair. I need the costs down and I'm working on it in court to be adjusted to the correct amount.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:16 PM

winterwolf7 is on a distinguished road

Sorry for your miscarriage, that's very sad.

Apparently you preferred the American health care system to help you manage the pregnancy of your second child when you decided to flee there so urgently?

We'll never know what could have happened if you have stayed, followed the law and acted responsibly.
Closed Thread