Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Introductions

Introductions If you're new to the forums, drop by and introduce yourself.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:49 AM

ifonlyihadknown is on a distinguished road

In any case, you will need to fill out that form 13, financial disclosure at some point. Nothing happens without it. You don't need a lawyer for this. Hopefully, you've agreed on a date of separation. Fill out the form as of this date. Get copies of bank statements, credit card statements, etc.

If they serve you, fine, if not, fine. It's a business negotiation more than anything else. Make sure you are prepared and educated.

If you're in Ontario and things proceed, first you have a case conference, than at least one settlement conference. Any decisions that come out of these, you have to agree to, and you can simply say, no. If there are no children involved, I wouldn't worry too much about these conferences. They allow you to state your case and get feedback from the judge as to how reasonable you are.

Remember that you can hire a lawyer to advise you rather than represent you. In other words, you buy a couple hours of their time to help prepare. You'll save some money and avoid the lawyers sending threatening emails to each other to rack up the bill.

For your financial disclosure, if you can find an accountant to help you, that may help as well. After all, lawyer's have no particular knowledge about finance.

And things will take time. So don't rush until you have to.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:13 PM

divorce101 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonlyihadknown View Post

In any case, you will need to fill out that form 13, financial disclosure at some point. Nothing happens without it. You don't need a lawyer for this. Hopefully, you've agreed on a date of separation. Fill out the form as of this date. Get copies of bank statements, credit card statements, etc.

If they serve you, fine, if not, fine. It's a business negotiation more than anything else. Make sure you are prepared and educated.

If you're in Ontario and things proceed, first you have a case conference, than at least one settlement conference. Any decisions that come out of these, you have to agree to, and you can simply say, no. If there are no children involved, I wouldn't worry too much about these conferences. They allow you to state your case and get feedback from the judge as to how reasonable you are.

Remember that you can hire a lawyer to advise you rather than represent you. In other words, you buy a couple hours of their time to help prepare. You'll save some money and avoid the lawyers sending threatening emails to each other to rack up the bill.

For your financial disclosure, if you can find an accountant to help you, that may help as well. After all, lawyer's have no particular knowledge about finance.

And things will take time. So don't rush until you have to.

Hi,
As stated my financials were done right away once my lawyer returned from holidays....to date my STBX has still not completed his financials/bank statements etc even after a second request. At the JCC the Judge did not even speak with either of us/only the lawyers. There is no agreement on separation date as my STBX filed for divorce backdating many months when we were still a couple. I guess I was na´ve in the fact that I assumed once we were released from the JCC system that things would move quicker.
Thank you for your response.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:42 PM

divorce101 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by denbigh View Post
I woulndt worry about if ex has the more expensive vehicles, because those can be delt with in the equalization. If ex takes the more expensive vehicles, then you will be compenstated in some other way, with cash, or more pension, or investements, of house equity or something. do you have expensive things that you are disagreeing on? like jewlery and fine art work, expensive tools? because if it is just regular house hold stuff like used furniture, dishes and sheets, you will pay more in lawyers fees than it is worth. you only value things at to what you would get in a garage sale or kijiji.

The debt is probalby a bigger issue. How is it the separation date is up for debate? did you live inthe same house in separate bedrooms for sometime, and then you took on adebt that is only in your name? I believe that does affect the separation date. If your financials were still linked, even if living apart in the same house, maybe that would still be considered not separated? I am not sure.

Thanks for the reply,
Initially when we were trying to separate possessions amicably we had discussed household items and the huge array of shop tools. My STBX removed 99.9% of the shop/garage items and cherry picked household items....leaving household items that he decided he did not want after they were agreed to. Sorry I am just frustrated that he has taken the vast majority of items and totally understand that used furniture, dishes etc are little to no value (which have been left for me) with exception of all the tools/accessories. If I reply to the emails about him wanting to settle the possessions then I will be opting out of the equalization process right?
We shared the same bedroom right up until the month before I asked for a divorce. AS for debt, we had purchased a vehicle in joint names, months prior, but on my line of credit as the interest rate was much lower.
The entire situation is bizarre and I have read a lot of information regarding divorce/separation but cannot find anything similar to mine.
Thank you for your reply. My apology for continuing on this thread....should I be placing my queries in a different forum?