Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law > Common Law Issues

Common Law Issues The law regarding common law relationships is different than in cases of divorce. Discuss the issues that affect unmarried couples here.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:22 PM

Mamma is on a distinguished road

Yes I am. But the income difference is not much. In a shared schedule I will be paying my Ex 200$/month and the daycare expenses will be split 55/45. The primary residence is a big point of discussion since he wants to have a big house in suburbs while we live close to down town right now
Old 08-20-2014, 02:23 PM

dad2bandm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamma View Post
I know there are a lot of supporters for the shared parenting plans and maybe we will be there one day but not now, he is too young...
Too young for what - to be parented by both parents?
Chuckle.

I can see why you don't want to share parenting right away, given your latest response.

Last edited by dad2bandm; 08-20-2014 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Added to this, because OP replied since.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:33 PM
Banned

Once.is.enough is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yes I am. But the income difference is not much. In a shared schedule I will be paying my Ex 200$/month and the daycare expenses will be split 55/45. The primary residence is a big point of discussion since he wants to have a big house in suburbs while we live close to down town right now
Well good luck dictating how and when he parents. As for the unjust enrichment claim from what you posted here I believe he has a case. what a judge thinks you'll have to pay the legal fees to find out or settle. Your choice
Old 08-20-2014, 02:33 PM

FB_ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
That is a valid concern. Shared parenting does work best when both parents live in the same area.

However it's not impossible for it work when one lives downtown and the other in the suburbs.

My ex moved 45 min away from where our house was and part of our agreement of 50/50 was she would be responsible to all costs and travel associated with living that far away and all drop-off and pick-ups were done at school or in the original city. She agreed and we did 50/50 until that didn't work out for her and she moved closer to the kids school. Again not optimal but it still worked.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:34 PM

dad2bandm , why do you think I am the one who is after the money ? - 200$ month is nothing - one trip to Costco . On the other hand the father will have to pay almost 700$/month if the child lives primarily with me and given an unjust enrichment claim he made over 5000$ I am not the one who is after the money.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:39 PM

FB_ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
dad2bandm , why do you think I am the one who is after the money ? - 200$ month is nothing - one trip to Costco . On the other hand the father will have to pay almost 700$/month if the child lives primarily with me and given an unjust enrichment claim he made over 5000$ I am not the one who is after the money.
Two totally separate issues.

Provide him with an offer to settle.

Shared custody
Shared access 50/50
No unjust enrichment
set-off child support
He must live within xx km's of current residence
neither can move farther away from current residence without written consent or court order
Old 08-20-2014, 02:40 PM

dad2bandm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
dad2bandm , why do you think I am the one who is after the money ? - 200$ month is nothing - one trip to Costco...
Because you really haven't answered why you think your child is "too young" to be equally parented right now, by both the child's parents. Instead, you threw dollar amounts out.

Good luck, with your court case.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:55 PM

Berner_Faith will become famous soon enough

I think you need to spend some time researching what you are claiming. Years ago maybe you would have been successful with the "he's too young" claim but things have changed drastically. If he is a capable parent (and you don't get to judge whether he is capable or not), he very well may end up with equal access. You also have to be careful because if you attempt to play gate keeper, he could end up with primary and majority access.

Any offer you put forth needs to be fair. To test whether it is fair or not, think about whether you would accept the offer if Dad offered the exact thing to you? One of the easiest way to hang yourself in court is putting forth an offer you think is fair, but wouldn't accept if it was the other way around.

I would start with the 50-50, you will find out quickly whether he is serious about being a father or not. One of two things will happen, he will stand up and be a father or fall flat on his face, but either way, at least you have done what is best for the child and Dad had his chance.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:56 PM

Out of our 4 year common law relationship we lived 3.5 in quebec where my rights as a property owner were protected. I sell my place - we move to ontario three months later we break up and he claims unjust enrichment for contributing 450$ to the living expenses !? No one seems to notice this but I get large criticism for not supporting shared access for infants. Sorry I don't and am willing to try my chances in court. I support the father - son relationship but as it was pointed our numerous times it's not a quality but a quality of the time spent that really matters.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:57 PM

paris is on a distinguished road

What is the mileage between downtown and the suburbs. Where I live that's 2 miles, but I'm in a small town.

I can see a greater distance/travel time being an issue when the child is in school, but not at 11 months old.

I am fastly learning that some Dad's can do an exceptional job when they are left to do it on their own.