Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:06 PM

Chrysalis68 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What if spouse becomes disabled while separated?

I have been separated for a few years now. We have been trying to handle thing amicably.
My soon to be ex had his lawyer draw up separation papers. I can't afford a lawyer. I became disabled back in September and can't work.
I noticed that a few times in the agreement it states that I agree that I can't get longer spousal support in the event that I become disabled and can't work.
I do have children from a previous marriage whom he was very much a parent to. I have never asked for child support.
Should I be signing such a document? Or am I entitled to spousal support for a longer period of time? Its hard knowing what to do and I really can't afford a lawyer.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:21 AM
Hand of Justice

Links17 is on a distinguished road

just collect disability leave the person alone.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:46 AM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

hard to say. You have been separated for a few years now and this is something new? Or was the condition present when you were married but has since got worse? IMHO you shouldn't get longer SS due to it. You were in a short term marriage to begin with.
I noticed in another thread you asked about money from a lawsuit and if it has to be shared with the ex. Look at it this way, if you are not willing to share that money, then why would you think you should be entitled to longer SS?

I hope you have looked into getting a disability pension already.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:44 AM

Berner_Faith will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
hard to say. You have been separated for a few years now and this is something new? Or was the condition present when you were married but has since got worse? IMHO you shouldn't get longer SS due to it. You were in a short term marriage to begin with.
I noticed in another thread you asked about money from a lawsuit and if it has to be shared with the ex. Look at it this way, if you are not willing to share that money, then why would you think you should be entitled to longer SS?

I hope you have looked into getting a disability pension already.
I agree with SOTS... it seems this is something that happened after the marriage according to your post and the lawsuit is a result. You can't have your cake and eat it too. You don't get to keep all your settlement money and then request longer SS. It certainly isn't going to be an easy road for you, but part of separation and divorce is cutting ties with your former spouse and unfortunately this is one of those ties. I would sign the document and move on with your life. There are disability benefits you can apply for.

Tags
disability, loco parentis, spousal support