X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? House and cars in my name....

In a nutshell:

I purchased my home 9 years ago. Entered into a common law situation 7 years ago.

We are now splitting.

The house, mortgage, cars are all in my name only. I work and support myself and 3 children from a previous marriage. He lost his job 3 years ago, and is back in school paid for by UI.

The owing on the house is $244,000. Could sell in todays market for $270,000.

Is he entitled to any of the house? The assets in the house that are co-purchased we will divide, and I am willing to give him the vehicle that he drives, which is paid for.

I am thankful for any support or information.

Not all parts of the Family Law Act of Ontario apply to common-law relationships, particularly Parts 2 and 3 (mostly).

Please find below a link to an Ontario Justice publication that explains some of the law.

http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.o...y/familyla.pdf

Comment

Look up Constructive Trust; common law. He could put in a claim for unjust enrichment, however, him trying to force sale of house would eat up equity on lawyers fees, realty fees, etc. You want to keep the home based on bests interest of "your" kids which are not his. There has been recent large changes in the Supreme Courts as to judgements. I wouldn't worry about it too much. If he puts up a front, then go see a lawyer.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X