Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law > Common Law Issues

Common Law Issues The law regarding common law relationships is different than in cases of divorce. Discuss the issues that affect unmarried couples here.

Old 04-26-2018, 01:24 PM

Berner_Faith will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem View Post
What do you mean ?? I thought that if she had custody and she died then they would automatically come to me........???

But thinking about it - if she remarries or finds some one else common law - I suppose they might get the kids instead of me ....that would be very very bad...

I'm not sure on this one....

Thatís not what she means. If your ex died how would you have to change your work schedule to be there for your children? You should be doing the same now. If you need to reduce your hours to be a parent then thatís what you do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2018, 05:46 PM

Rioe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
A 50-50 situation would mean about 1500-1600.00 a month cs she wouldn't see based on the # of kids we have.

So it would be alot to her.

I don't think you're doing the math right.

Her income is $18k, so her CS would be only be a couple hundred dollars a month depending on how many kids you have. That's all the CS she would receive from you would drop by if you had 50-50. Not $1500 a month!
Old 04-26-2018, 06:59 PM

stevem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rioe View Post
I don't think you're doing the math right.

Her income is $18k, so her CS would be only be a couple hundred dollars a month depending on how many kids you have. That's all the CS she would receive from you would drop by if you had 50-50. Not $1500 a month!

Hey Rioe - run that by me again ? I don't quite understand - now I pay her 1500 c/s per month (we have a verbal that she is the caretaker of the 2 kids) - if we have the kids a 50/50 split - there is no child care payable is there ??

Old 04-26-2018, 07:53 PM

Berner_Faith will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Hey Rioe - run that by me again ? I don't quite understand - now I pay her 1500 c/s per month (we have a verbal that she is the caretaker of the 2 kids) - if we have the kids a 50/50 split - there is no child care payable is there ??

Wrong... in 50-50 Cs is paid by offset. So basically you take what she would owe you if you had the child full time and subtract that from what you owe her if she has the child full time.

If you currently pay her $1500 a month and based on her income she would have to pay $200, you would still pay her $1300... Cs doesnít go away because you have shared custody

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2018, 08:53 AM

Janus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I am firming up an agreement with my ex - and was wondering a few things. I am allowing her custody with me the standard every other weekend etc.

That has not been the standard for almost a decade now.

If you agree to less than 50% now, it will be almost impossible to change that in the future.

Also, your ideas of child support in shared custody are wrong. You will still pay lots of child support. The difference is that your financial situation will actually matter to the court, so your ex might have to actually eventually get a job.

Quote:
Second - my boy is 8 - but already says he would like to live with me - I haven't said anything to my ex about this. But if push comes to shove is there an age that he can decide for himself to live with me instead ?
8-year olds should not be having that type of discussion with you. He lives where you and his mother decide he will live.

That said, if he only sees you 4 days a month for the next 6 years or so, his opinion on where he wants to live is going to change quite dramatically.