URGENT Passport Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• URGENT Passport Question

My ex wife and her brother's family are planning a trip to six flags for this summer.

She just emailed me to tell me she slipped passport forms into the back of my daughters backpack. Saying that I must fill them out and send back tomorrow morning.

Her name is the one listed as applicant and she has her brother as emergency contact.

Even though she's applying, both our names will appear?

I'm going to cross out her brothers name and put in mine.
    And can she argue her brother as emergency contact over me?
    If she goes around me and adds her brother back on, can I petition to have it changed?

I wouldn't bother with crossing out and rewriting names. The emergency contact is almost never used - I don't even remember who mine is - and it has no relevance to custody or other legal matters. Presumably Mom's brother knows how to reach you and in the very unlikely event that there was an emergency involving your kid and decisions needed to be made, he would contact you. Yes, Mom should have listed your name as the emerg contact, but I don't see this as a hill to die on.

Comment

Originally posted by stripes View Post
      I wouldn't bother with crossing out and rewriting names. The emergency contact is almost never used - I don't even remember who mine is - and it has no relevance to custody or other legal matters. Presumably Mom's brother knows how to reach you and in the very unlikely event that there was an emergency involving your kid and decisions needed to be made, he would contact you. Yes, Mom should have listed your name as the emerg contact, but I don't see this as a hill to die on.
      I would not cross out the emergency contact but I would ask the mother why you are not listed as the contact. Then later when you are in court you use it to show how the mother tries to belittle you as a parent in the child's life.

Comment

I wonder if I'm over thinking it?

In retrospect, I don't have a passport and her brother does. Even though he's travelling with them this time, he wouldn't always be. If something happened he could get to them faster simply because he has a passport of his own.

I'm wandering if her rational isn't self-serving but actually rational - if I were to travel with them out of the country then having me as the emergency contact would be redundant.

Is there some way I can force a note to be attached that, when she has them outside the country, I'm the first to be contacted?

Will my name and information be on the passport?

Comment

If her brother will be near by with her then in case of emergency he can help more than you. Don't worry about it. If something happened she would call you too. Don't sweat with kids going overseas. It's good for them. Just relax. I can relate to your worry when my ex wanted to go overseas with our kid but unless there is some real danger for them, let them have fun.

PS: Buy them health insurance just in case

Comment

Neither parent's names appear ON the passport. In addition, there is no emergency contact listed ON the actual passport. I'm looking at my kids' right now and neither myself or my ex's names are on here at all.

I wouldn't make a big deal of it.

Comment

Both parents have to be listed on the application. The emergency contact should be someone who doesn't usually travel with the child, or can be contacted ASAP if required. There is no point on you or the mother being the emergency contact because if the children are travelling with you and something happens to you, who to authorities contact if you are the emergency contact? I think right on the application is says something to that affect.

You really are over thinking it.

Comment

Emergency contact is recommended to be someone NOT normally traveling with person.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X