This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's also a very stressul time of year.

Try and put this issue aside for a few days and enjoy the season with your kids!!

Comment

Originally posted by dadtotheend View Post
      It's also a very stressul time of year.

Try and put this issue aside for a few days and enjoy the season with your kids!!
      Thanks DTTE, but the kids are with him this holiday anyway lol. So I am free to stress away!! I'm just joking (mostly) ... we've got lots of family visiting coming up, so I will just try to enjoy it. Have a great Christmas!

Comment

Ames did nothing wrong in moving. The father moved 3 hours away. She moved 5 additional. She consulted with him prior, and he agreed. End of mobility issue.

My one piece of advise would be to get your butt into court and get an order that makes it official and enforceable. And, when a parent sees their children a few times a year, it is the default responsibility of the parent with care and control to do what they feel best. More often than not, what is best for the parent with whom the child lives is in fact best for the child, regardless of custody. If this move allows for stability and financial security, that IS in the child's best interest. It just means that they will have to work together to ensure the father-child relationship and bond remains intact, and that can be done easily with a distance of 8 hours...phone calls, letters, webcams, visits...all very feasible.

Comment

Just wanted to post an update on my situation.

In early 2011, ex and his gf decided to move back to our home town after all. I enthusiastically encouraged a move towards us instead, but they declined at that point. 4 months later, they let us know that they had decided to move an hour away from us due to lack of work in their area.

During this time, he made a much greater effort to pay child support. When they moved an hour away, he took them every second weekend without fail. We both worked hard on communication and compromising.

Recently, they moved to our town and are now living literally across the backyard from us. While we have a general "schedule" of week-on/week-off (for sleeping, anyway), the kids have basically been free to run back and forth between the houses at their leisure. They are loving it. We have scrapped child support now that we have a 50/50 arrangement again. We both get to attend school functions and other events. Everyone involved has become comfortable enough (including his gf and my DH) to spend time together as a collective group with the kids (ie. Hallowe'en and birthdays, bbqs, etc).

I just wanted to update that things have really improved. And I wanted to thank everyone for their honest input - it helped to give me a greater perspective of the whole issue. I'm not 100% sure that they will stay this close indefinitely (and we keep discussions open about the possibility of future moves), but for the time being I am very happy for the kids!

Comment

That is AWESOME!

You had a pretty shaky start..but things are working well Glad to hear!

Comment

Hi
              My name is Joseph Goldberg and I think I can help you
              with the problem you are having. It sounds to me like you
              may have problems with parental alienation. Are you at
              all familar with this term ? I am an expert in this field and
              I work helping parents and their lawyers on these types
              of cases.
              Please visit my website at - Goldberg & Associates
              If you would like to contact me directly please write to me
              at jgoldberg@cspas.org ( I am also the Founder of the
              Canadian Sympsoium for Parental Alienation Syndrome.)
              I do charge a fee for a consultation. Perhaps if you would
              like to go into more details with me I can tell you how I'd
              be able to best help you.

Comment

Seriously man. Are you going to paste in the same reply and spam every thread here?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X