This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minutes of Settlement Question

I just fired my lawyer and realized with the new lawyer that it may be too late to do anything because a Minutes of Settlement was drafted. I haven't signed it though. I wonder how this will affect the outcome - the fact that the minutes were drawn up. The copy emailed to me says "draft'. Does anyone have any feedback on this? Thanks./

There is also a case conference scheduled in the future. This is very confusing to me. My new lawyer can't comment too much because we didn't get the file from my old lawyer yet.

Comment

Help please anyone!

Comment

Thank you so much for your reply Iceburg.

I wonder if having a really crappy lawyer who didn't explain things and get proper disclosure, like I had been asking him, would be a good enough reason to try to start renegotiating. ??

Comment

It's mainy about assets. I told my lawyer I would settle for x amount, but I still wanted to see bank statements etc. There is nothing in the Minutes stating he needs to show anything.

I had been telling my lawyer about mulitple issues for months. He would agree with me that we should question this and that, and then never did. I think he was just lazy and just wanted to get it over with.

I'm wondering if there is even any point to seeing any of the accounts in question, if nothing can be changed. If nothing can be changed, it's a waste of time.

So it's probably too late now that the Minutes have been drawn up?

Comment

I thought minutes of the settlement were mostly done in courts,, and if so then you would have had to sign it then. Maybe put a call into the law society and get a free consultation with another lawyer, might help answer your questions...
            But the argument is that you have not signed it so really I don't see why you can't fight it still. Dont know what precautions or if that will work against you. I think you need to get a professional opinion

Comment

Okay, thank you so much.

Comment

If you haven't signed off on those minutes of settlement, they mean jack s**t IMO.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X