This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossing borders. Canadian and Abroad

Is there a rule or law that requires spouses to inform the other parent when they are taking the child(ren) out of province? I really don't like that my kids can end up on the other coast and no one needs to inform me of this.
    Thank you

Not unless you have a court order that stipulates that.

For the kids to cross the border via PLANE, they need passports. Which would require either both parties signatures OR a court order to get.

For the kids to cross the border via CAR, they need birth certificates and/or passports. (depending on their ages).

If you have joint custody or are currently in the process of litigating, you CAN call the US border station and have the children flagged at the border.

You can also contact the passport office I believe and request to be notified if passports are issued.

Comment

Within Canada, no restrictions ... unless your court order specifically indicates some restriction (but of course no one is checking who is driving where). However, even if there are no restrictions in your order, this kind of implies that they are violating the access schedule, and THAT is a problem.

Whichever parent has the passport would probably be able to fly out of Canada (it seems no one checks for consent letters when you leave, or perhaps they check very rarely). But you can contact RCMP or passport canada (not sure which) if you want to flag the passport.
      Last edited by dinkyface; 02-17-2011, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Hi to NB Dad,

I wanted to comment briefly on your reply. I have done exactly what you have stated and contacted the US customs whom I used to work with. They will not flag any passport for a child nor will they keep any records unless the child has been abducted. Now this comes from CBP ( Customs and Border Protrection USA). To cross into the US they need only have a Birth Cert depending on the age of the child. If the parent states the child is Sole Custody they do not normally ask for documents. I have been their and proven this to be true at 2 ports of Entry to the US. The RCMP would have to be called but only in a case of a Child Abduction. That is the only time the RCMP can step and then they call US Customs (CBP) been through all of this. My former husband is a US born citizen and does not have a passport need. He is retired US military 20 years. I lived in the US and worked beside US Customs as a Customs Broker and dealt with Immigration for many years. So I am very certain of my information. If you do not trust my information then call US Customs at any port of Entry and they will advise. BE Ware and be on your toes.

Comment

I have taken my kids to Disney before and passed through US Customs and Immigration. I have pasted the form that was recommended to me. I tried to attached it, but the size is too large. I hope it helps.

The only problem is, it requires signatures of both parents!

To Whom It May Concern:

We, Xxxx Xxxx Xxxxxxx and Xxxx Xxxx Xxxxxxx are the custodial parents of:

Child’s full name: Xxxx Xxxx Xxxxxxx
          Date of birth (DD/MM/YYYY): _____________
          Place of birth: ___________________
          Canadian passport number: ________________
          Date of issuance of Canadian passport (DD/MM/YYYY): ________ Place of issuance of Canadian passport: ___________________

Xxxx Xxxx Xxxxxxx has Xxxx Xxxx Xxxxxxx consent to travel with his father:

Full name of accompanying person: Father – __________________
          Canadian or foreign passport number: NEXUS Pass ID ___________
          Date of issuance of passport: ______________
          Place of issuance of passport: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada – Issuing Country – USA

to visit Orlando, Florida, USA during the period of 9 December 2009 to 15 December 2009. During that period, Xxxx Xxxx Xxxxxxx will be residing with Xxxx Xxxx Xxxxxxx at Disney – Port Orleans Resort, Riverside Location, Florida, at the following address:

Number/street address and apartment number: 1251 Dixie Drive
          City, state, country: Lake Buena Vista, Florida, USA, 32830

Any questions regarding this consent letter can be directed to the undersigned at:

Number/street address and apartment number: ______________
          City, province/state, country: ____________________________
          Telephone (work and residence): work (506) _______, residence (506) _______

Signature: _____________________ Date: _______________
          (Xxxx Xxxxxxx)

Signature: _____________________ Date: _______________
          Xxxx Xxxxxxx)

Signed before me, _____________________________________(name of witness),
          this _______________(date) at __________________________ (name of location).

Signature: _______________________ (name of witness)

Comment

Good one ----> STICKY time

Comment

If anyone wants a MS Word copy of the form, private message me and I will email it to you.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X