Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help finding a good lawyer

Hey guys,

Does anyone here know of a good legal aid lawyer. The previous legal aid lawyer that I was working with was fired from her firm because of the way she was handling her cases. Now that legal aid re-issued my certificate( second and last time), I am scared of retaining another lawyer with out any experience. Legal aid office gave me 6 pages list of legal aid lawyers. I went through 2 pages without any success. I would really appreciate any help that I could get.

My case is pretty straight forward and is a winner. I did only one case conference ( My actual intention was to extend the date since i didn't have a lawyer)and judge understood my whole situation and denied all my husbands demand. However, with 2 small children ( baby and a toddler) its really hard for me to fight own my own. I really want someone who would look out for my children's and my right.

thanks
    a desperate mom

It would help if you provided where you lived.....

Comment

Originally posted by HammerDad View Post
      It would help if you provided where you lived.....
      Sorry I live in Mississauga, Ontario

Comment

My case is pretty straight forward and is a winner.
        Wow.....Now that is some confidence, the other party must have really messed up?

Comment

Originally posted by FWB View Post
          Wow.....Now that is some confidence, the other party must have really messed up?
          yes he has...he is making anywhere from 10000-14000 a month according to his financial statements that he provided, but tells the judge that he is making 21000 yearly and wants to pay cs and ss on that amount.

he depleted our joint line of credit while he had a job (Which i have prove off)and i told the judge about it. She also made a note of that as well. There are many other things that he lied about as well. I guess he thought he would lie and no one will question him.

So I am pretty confident.

Comment

Is he self-employed or is he an employee of a company?

The reason I ask is that if he is self-employed it would be helpful if your new lawyer had a good understanding of business financial statements. You could see if one of the lawyers on your list has a degree or experience in business. I would take a young lawyer who has business/accounting experience over an older, more experienced lawyer who has no business or accounting background, any day (if ex is in business for himself).

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
              Is he self-employed or is he an employee of a company?

The reason I ask is that if he is self-employed it would be helpful if your new lawyer had a good understanding of business financial statements. .
              he is self-employed IT contractor. So its not like he has to buy any equipment or martial for his business. My previous lawyer was a young lawyer and when i went to meet her she sounded pretty confident and her firm was a good firm too. however after few months I had to guide her every step of the way. even after 1 1/2 year she didn't do anything regarding cs and kept on telling me that she needs more time to prepare for paper work. she told me for a fast motion we had to wait for five months for next available date . even some time I had to do my own research about law and tell her. It was just a nightmare. I used to get anxiety when I receive her calls and some time it looks as if she is fighting for my husbands right more them mine and kids

Comment

Originally posted by freespirit View Post
                he is self-employed IT contractor. So its not like he has to buy any equipment or martial for his business. My previous lawyer was a young lawyer and when i went to meet her she sounded pretty confident and her firm was a good firm too. however after few months I had to guide her every step of the way. even after 1 1/2 year she didn't do anything regarding cs and kept on telling me that she needs more time to prepare for paper work. she told me for a fast motion we had to wait for five months for next available date . even some time I had to do my own research about law and tell her. It was just a nightmare. I used to get anxiety when I receive her calls and some time it looks as if she is fighting for my husbands right more them mine and kids
                I'm in Brampton and I had to wait 7 months for a "long" motion. I'm not sure if you require a normal motion or a long one. It depends on the number of items you need resolved.

I had a great lawyer but he's not legal aid.

Is he paying any child support at this time? What is the current custody/access situation?

The reason Arabian was asking about employment is because people who are self employed can write-off a lot of stuff to make it look like they don't make much money. Or use a business as a shelter. This requires and experienced lawyer.

Good luck.

Comment

Have you thought about talking to any of the senior partners of the fired lawyer's firm about your situation? Legal Aid hours are limited. It's worth a shot to see if they will 'credit' you with some hours and assign a more experienced lawyer. It's not your fault the lawyer was canned and the firm ought to cover those clients who are in need of representation.

Comment

Originally posted by FB_ View Post

Is he paying any child support at this time? What is the current custody/access situation?

Good luck.
                    no he hasn't paid any cs since Jan 2013. although he has been going to mexico on new year since last 2 years. yes he is self employed and yes he is making a lot of stuff about his expense. he says he makes 21000 yearly, his expense is 50000 yearly and that y he had to use money from line of credit. however is his banks statements it shows that he submitted his payroll check of around 14000 and in same month took out money from line of credit 9000 and there is not record for where did all this cash withdrawal gone.

Oh god I feel so stupid, I was so busy in taking care of my new born that I didn't even see all this coming.

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
                      Have you thought about talking to any of the senior partners of the fired lawyer's firm about your situation?
                      Yes I have talked to them and they refared me a new lawyer however its been 2 months I haven't received any response from her. I have been calling her and the reply I get is that the lawyer is currently busy. I have only one month and then my legal aid certificate would expire.

Comment

That's discouraging.
                        I believe it's always good to have things in writing. I would simply write a letter to the new lawyer with a cc to the senior partner with your concerns. 10 minutes of your time to write the letter might pay off. Keep in mind when you go to a new lawyer they have to start over and this may very well eat up what you have in legal aid hours. I wonder if there is anything legal aid can do? How many hours credit do you have left? How many did you start with?

Comment

My previous lawyer used all my hours so they gave me 10 more hours. I did took your advice and left a message for the previous firm. The new lawyer that I was referred too by previous firm is a very good lawyer more then 15 years of good experience. however I don't know if she would take my case since she is so busy with trials and haven't had any time to meet me yet. after waiting for 2 months yesterday when I called her office I was told by her PA that she would talk to her and gave me a yes or no answer. the thing is that if she refuse to take my case then I just have one month to look for another good lawyer.and with a 1 year old (the other child goes to school) and in this weather with no transportation its getting really hard

I just dont understand After all I have been through by his physical and mental abuse how can he still live so freely with no responsibility and me on the other hand taking care of kids renewing my studies and having to go through all this...

Comment

Once you have gone through your legal aid hours you will have to pay for a lawyer yourself or self-represent. You will have to get a job and put your studies on hold until you are in a more secure financial situation.

I know of no other alternative.

Comment

Does anyone here know of a good legal aid lawyer.
                              If you are in the Peel Region (Mississauga) then you may want to look to Toronto or Halton to find a lawyer who will take your Legal Aid Ontario Certificate as payment in addition to the list given to you at the Peel office.

The previous legal aid lawyer that I was working with was fired from her firm because of the way she was handling her cases.
                              Unfortunate but, not an uncommon issue as many lawyers who take on LOA certificates are new to the professional and use it as an opportunity to grow their practice and gain experience.

Now that legal aid re-issued my certificate (second and last time), I am scared of retaining another lawyer with out any experience.
                              In the Peel, Halton and Toronto area "experienced" lawyers who accept LOA Certificates are few and far between. An "experienced" lawyer in Halton/Peel and Toronto charges anywhere from $400-$650 per hour and a LOA certificate billable rate is SIGNIFICANTLY less.

As well, Hamilton, Halton, Peel and Toronto are the largest family law districts in Ontario and in our country. So the lawyers who do work in the area of family law that are "experienced" are busy and have more than enough clients. In fact, the "experienced" (read "good") lawyers often scrutinize their clients and only take on clients by reference from trusted sources.

Legal aid office gave me 6 pages list of legal aid lawyers. I went through 2 pages without any success. I would really appreciate any help that I could get.
                              You are going to possibly have to call the "big law firm factories" that have a lot of junior lawyers on staff who are looking for work. You could possibly run into the same problem that you have already had though.

My case is pretty straight forward and is a winner.
                              This may be why you are having such a hard time finding an "experienced" lawyer to represent you... You express this kind of attitude to an "experienced' lawyer even if you have the money to pay a 50,000 retainer at 500 an hour and they may not be interested in working for you.

They will not look fondly at your over confidence... Often the most highly conflicted people are over confident about "winning".

I did only one case conference ( My actual intention was to extend the date since i didn't have a lawyer) and judge understood my whole situation and denied all my husbands demand.
                              Case conference isn't worth anything and I would consider what the justice said but, you will never have this justice for a motion or trial in your matter. Also, as you are in Peel which justice did you appear before for your case conference?

However, with 2 small children (baby and a toddler) its really hard for me to fight own my own. I really want someone who would look out for my children's and my right.
                              1. Family law is not a war (fight).
                              2. If you continue to have this attitude it is a war (fight) I can tell you this:
                              THERE IS NOT A SINGLE JUSTICE IN THE PEEL REGION AT THE BRAMPTON SUPERIOR COURT OF JUSTICE, FAMILY LAW THAT WILL NOT TOLERATE HIGH CONFLICT AND WARING PARENTS!

3. You are in one of the most respected and well run family court districts in our country. Justice Mossip has set a tone in that court house and is widely known to be one of the most highly regarded justices. Justice Lemon and the rest of the justices there do not tolerate nonsense at all!

Good Luck!
                              Tayken

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X