Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change in income question

Hi,
    I think I have a good understanding of what my ex has to prove if my income goes up post-separation for her to get an increase in spousal support (she has to prove that any increase is a result of sacrifices she made to help me further my career) but I am not sure what would be the case if, when she provides me with her income information, her income goes up significantly? Would I adjust my payment automatically downwards? Would I need to go to court to do so? Would the courts rule that support should be adjusted based on an increase in income?
    What I am trying to do is use this as a bargaining chip in a negotiation I have going on right now as in "if I am required to to pay monthly vs a lump sum settlement, this will be what you will have to put up with scenario.". Or does this not qualify as a material change in circumstance and I would not be able to apply anyway because I should have anticipated that her income would increase before signing a separation agreement?

Hopefully this makes sense!

Do you have a separation agreement? What does it say about post-separation changes in income? Does it define "Material Changes in Circumstances" than can trigger a review.

I doubt you can unilaterally pay her less.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X