This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• defending myself

I am looking for places online to research common law issues. We have jointly owned property and debt associated with that property. I am looking for specific rules of common law and family law. I am having difficulty obtaining such materials. Hope you can point me in the right direction.
    Thank you

Family Law Toronto :: Common Law:: www.familylawtoronto.com

http://rc.lsuc.on.ca/pdf/csp/criteria_family.pdf

Here is a good place to start.

Comment

Hi again,
      I need further direction. I have not been able to find any case law that pertains to my cirrcumstances.
      Married 1982, divorced 1995, re-cohabitated 1999, separated 2005. Do the settlement minutes of the divorce still hold any validity? The re-cohabitation period was a new relationship.
      Look forward to your reply

Comment

Well, my first stop is canlii.org to search case law. It is enormously helpful as it will direct you to the actual law that the cases rely on.

Just make sure that you only search your province as the laws differ.

Make sure you save each case file(link) to your hard drive as printing the cases takes a heck of a lot of paper and ink from your printer. Print after you have a chance to peruse them!

Comment

Thank you for your response. The search parameters are pretty wide. Any suggestions.

Thanks again

Comment

I think if your going to defend yourself you will need to be familiar with the following:

Family Law Act, R.S.O. 1990 c. F. 3.;

Family Law Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. F.3

Family Law Rules, ONTARIO REGULATION 114/99; which forms part of the Courts Of Justice Act. Most cases will abide by the rules. However, there are exceptions.

Courts of Justice Act - O. Reg. 114/99

Sometimes with complex situations a matter cannot be covered by the Family Law Rules, then the courts are obligated to refer to rules of civil procedure:

Courts of Justice Act - R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 194

and or the Courts of Justice Act, R.S.O. 1990, CHAPTER C.43:

Courts of Justice Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. C.43

If children are involved and Custody or access is an issue:

Children's Law Reform Act R.S.O. 1990 c. C. 12;

Children's Law Reform Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. C.12

If Child support is an issue, Refer to the Family Law Act, Ontario Regulation 391/97 which are the child support guidelines;

Family Law Act - O. Reg. 391/97

Additionally, the Attorney General of Ontario has straightforward guides available depending on which court your mater is being held:

Family Court of the Superior Court of Justice

Ministry of the Attorney General - A Guide to Procedures in Family Court

Ontario Court of Justice

Ministry of the Attorney General - A Guide to Family Procedures in the Ontario Court of Justice

Superior Court of Justice

Ministry of the Attorney General - A Guide to Family Procedures in the Superior Court of Justice

All the required court forms for family Court can be found on line in word or PDF format:

Family Law Rules Forms — Ontario Court Services

If you like to be neat and tidy on the court forms and do not have MS word, you can download a free office suite here:

www: OpenOffice.org - The Free and Open Productivity Suite

LV

Comment

Thank you to all,
              I have already prepared a case conference brief, confirmation notice, notice of service and updated financial statement.
              I have been looking for case law that is relevent to common law relationships. I have been to canill.org as independentgal suggested. The search parameters are too wide. Any suggestions would be helpful.
              Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by lauralin View Post
                Hi again,
                I need further direction. I have not been able to find any case law that pertains to my cirrcumstances.
                Married 1982, divorced 1995, re-cohabitated 1999, separated 2005. Do the settlement minutes of the divorce still hold any validity? The re-cohabitation period was a new relationship.
                Look forward to your reply
                The second relationship does not negate the agreement from the first or any content therein.

It is indeed very difficult to find any case law that would combine the two relationships; you would have to search separate case law to support each relationship as it pertains to you.

Comment

I have a new question. I have been trying for 2 years to have financial disclosure from the Respondent. I finally received a sworn financial statement after I made an application to the court. It is my opinion that the Financial statement is incorrect. The Respondent has failed to provided verification of the debts listed in his statement.
                  Can I bring a motion to have the debt claims verified?
                  The Respondent has requested that I share the debt.
                  ei. his credit card debt.

Comment

First of all, I have no legal training so I can't help you there but I can relate my experience. Do you also have a C/C on the same account with him as the primary card holder? If so you would be responsible for 1/2 the debt. I had the lovely experience of paying off over $1000 for jewelry bought for OW. We had to split all bills that way despite the fact that I made less than $4000/year and he made in 6 figures. I am in NB so the laws may be different where you are. We were M 30 years and after the D, I had no credit rating and had to start from scratch because he was the primary card holder. FYI.

Comment

The general rule is that if there is a claim for some or all of the debt then yes you can ask the courts to order that the other party show the records of debt to determine whether they should be included.

The documents would have to show that the debt was incurred as a result of the relationship. Had they not been claimed as splitable debt, then you would have no right to the statements, as how one manages their income is not up for debate so as long as they have met and continue to meet other financial obligations as they pertain to the other party ONLY..

Comment

Good news, I have been to the case conference and the judge dismiss his claim for my sharing half his credit card debt. I was also awarded a motion for spousal support.
                        The only debts to be divided are for the joint debt of the relationdhip ie the house and roof renvovations.
                        It was a a good day.
                        My ex spouse was also claiming the mortgage payment he had been paying since date of valuation. The judge also dismiss that claim stating that he had exclusive enjoyment of the home and that he would of had to pay rent and utilities somewhere.
                        It was an even better day.
                        His council had been using scare tactics. Thank god I did my homework.

Comment

Court Order is there a time limit on how long the court order could be taken out before it is deem to be invalid. Is there a time limit and what is that time limit can someone help me on this issue

also can lawyer charge more there the post amount stipulated for instancce can they charge 300 per hour on their trial cost

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                          Working...
                          X