This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tutoring is it section 7?

My Ex would like to hire a personal tutor for both my children. Would this be considered section 7 expense?

It was deemed a section 7 for us.

Comment

What's the cost? Why do they need a private tutor? Are they failing? What services are available through the school for extra help? Has this been discussed with the school/teachers and has extra resources been made available?

Comment

Originally posted by NBDad View Post
        What's the cost? Why do they need a private tutor? Are they failing? What services are available through the school for extra help? Has this been discussed with the school/teachers and has extra resources been made available?

They are currently using the schools tutors for math and reading however the ex also wants them to get private tutoring at home. The cost is going to be around $20.00 an hour for 2 - 4 hours per kid per week. So I am now looking at an additional cost of $80.00-$160.00 per week. She has not discussed it with the school. She has decided this because both their report cards have lots of C's on them. They are 10 and 6 years old by the way.

Comment

If it is not something that has been recommended by the school, then it's probably not needed. Most school districts DO have extra resources available for students seen as struggling.

If they were failing, it might be different, but wanting to do tutoring for children JUST because of C grades (which is an average mark) is a little unreasonable.

Depends on what kind of cash flow you are looking at really. On one hand it's in the kid's best interests...on the other, is it REALLY needed or just an attempt to pawn off having to do extra effort on a tutor as opposed to doing it themselves?

Comment

Originally posted by NBDad View Post
            If it is not something that has been recommended by the school, then it's probably not needed. Most school districts DO have extra resources available for students seen as struggling.

If they were failing, it might be different, but wanting to do tutoring for children JUST because of C grades (which is an average mark) is a little unreasonable.

Depends on what kind of cash flow you are looking at really. On one hand it's in the kid's best interests...on the other, is it REALLY needed or just an attempt to pawn off having to do extra effort on a tutor as opposed to doing it themselves?
            My issue with it all is if I was the CP, she would most certainly expect me to be the one tutoring them at night and not relying on a tutor. I have a decent cash flow, that is until the 1st and 15th of the month when she cashes the child support cheques .

I guess this is going to be a (why dont you tutor them) and a (so pathetic that their own father doesnt want the best for them) argument.

Comment

Don't allow it to turn into an argument... C grades are not horrible and the children are young.

Tell the ex you would like to have a meeting with school officials to discuss what else can be done at their end... you will also have to think about what effect this could have on the child...they go to school full time, receive extra help at school, most likely have some form of homework and then to add another 2-4 hours a week of additional study at home. This may start to take a toll on the children being forced to do all these studies.

You may find that school officials don't recommend more tutoring or have more to offer.

Comment

Originally posted by cashcow4ex View Post
                They are currently using the schools tutors for math and reading however the ex also wants them to get private tutoring at home. The cost is going to be around $20.00 an hour for 2 - 4 hours per kid per week. So I am now looking at an additional cost of $80.00-$160.00 per week. She has not discussed it with the school. She has decided this because both their report cards have lots of C's on them. They are 10 and 6 years old by the way.
                What sort of plan has the schools tutor put forth? Have they asked you to do homework with each child, or sent home worksheets?

I would set up a meeting with the childs teacher to discuss what concerns you have with the childs report card and what concerns the teacher has. If the school tutor feels the child is making progress, then a private tutor most likely isn't needed.

At this age, repetition and practise is usually what kids need, especially for reading. Reading to your kids everyday and asking questions from time to time about what is happening in the story, (reading comprehension), following the text with your finger are all good habits to do to help with reading.

I would say the same for math. You know, we use to practise our times tables and addition/subtraction everyday until we memorized them. Still a good practice I think.

These things don't have to be a chore. You can make them part of everyday. When you are at the grocery store, you say we need apples, you point to the sign above the apples and point to every letter in the word as you spell it out. You count the number of apples you put into the bag, etc. It just becomes part of your day.

Libraries usually have a program called 'reading buddies'. They are free, you need to call your local library and sign your child up and once a week you go to the library and someone sits with your child and reads with them. The reading buddie is a volunteer and has typically received some training before being accepted into the program. Like a tutor, they read to the child, the child reads to them, they talk about the book they are reading together.

I guess this is going to be a (why dont you tutor them) and a (so pathetic that their own father doesnt want the best for them) argument.
                So you offer to spend the extra time the tutor would be spending with them because what is best for them, is to spend extra time with their father!

When I had a child in high school who needed a tutor, it was considered a sec.7 expense.
                Last edited by frustratedwithex; 02-08-2012, 03:07 PM.

Comment

A C grade is not an acceptable grade in our house. So I would be working with our kid, if she started bringing home C's. And I would expect my ex to work with her as well.

I would agree to a math tutor, one hour per week per kid. The 10 year old would be in Grade 5, right? That's just about the time that I started our daughter with her math tutor. I'm too old and have been too long out of a math class to even pretend I know what I'm doing in math anymore.

But I think 2-4 hours per week, per kid, is overkill. Our kid does 1 math hour/tutor per week. They review the in-class material and do extra problems to ensure she truly understands the concept before the class moves onto the next section. I pay $25.00 an hour.

And I wouldn't agree to a reading/english tutor, that is most definitely work that each parent can be doing with the children. And as other posters have suggested, there are reading buddies available, either in the school or at your local library.
                  Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Thank you everyone for the helpful advice.

Comment

Originally posted by frustratedwithex View Post
                      What sort of plan has the schools tutor put forth? Have they asked you to do homework with each child, or sent home worksheets?

I would set up a meeting with the childs teacher to discuss what concerns you have with the childs report card and what concerns the teacher has. If the school tutor feels the child is making progress, then a private tutor most likely isn't needed.

At this age, repetition and practise is usually what kids need, especially for reading. Reading to your kids everyday and asking questions from time to time about what is happening in the story, (reading comprehension), following the text with your finger are all good habits to do to help with reading.

I would say the same for math. You know, we use to practise our times tables and addition/subtraction everyday until we memorized them. Still a good practice I think.

These things don't have to be a chore. You can make them part of everyday. When you are at the grocery store, you say we need apples, you point to the sign above the apples and point to every letter in the word as you spell it out. You count the number of apples you put into the bag, etc. It just becomes part of your day.

Libraries usually have a program called 'reading buddies'. They are free, you need to call your local library and sign your child up and once a week you go to the library and someone sits with your child and reads with them. The reading buddie is a volunteer and has typically received some training before being accepted into the program. Like a tutor, they read to the child, the child reads to them, they talk about the book they are reading together.

So you offer to spend the extra time the tutor would be spending with them because what is best for them, is to spend extra time with their father!

When I had a child in high school who needed a tutor, it was considered a sec.7 expense.

I will certainly comb the local resources in the childrens area before I agree to pay for any tutoring fee's.

Thank you!

Comment

I have to agree with mcdreamy, "C" to me is unaceptable, telling me the child is not understanding the material being thaught and need to find out why? and not wait to bring home "D".

Having dealt with this issue in Court, it is considered Section 7, but can get costly as it might be the cost of tutoring for now, but other special equipment/computer programs required as they get older and why you need to investigate with the 10 year old child.

The Judge looked at what resources the child obtained from the school; the outcome; did the child have a "psychological assessment" done by the school and/or a private assessor for a "learning disability"? and if so, the results? the child's IPE (Individual Education Plan); was the child assess by any other health care provider(s) for other underlying cause such as ADD/ADHD; trauma, hearing problem etc... affecting grades!

Cashcow: you need to contact the school and make an appointement to meet with the child's teacher and the S.E.R.T. (Special Education Resource Teacher) to discuss the matter to see if an assessment was done; if so, ask for the results and if an IEP (Individual Education Plan) in place. If not, request an assessment and in the meantime, voice your concerns and ask for recomendations as to what you and your ex do at home to help the child? as the waiting period for an assessment can be long; if would benefit from a tutor? which subject is a priority? how many hours a week for tutor? etc...

6 years old is a bit young still and don't think the school offers help at that age unless somethiing seriously wrong which in this case would have an E.A (educational assistant) working with the child.

10 years old is different as it gets more difficult as they get older to catch up especially if they have missed the basics in subjects such as in Math and english.
                        I agree there are a lot of resources out there, but you and your ex have to decide what is best "the child" . Some programs might not be of help to your children especially if there is a learning disability or other health issues.

Comment

Ask someone at the reference desk what they would recommend. Tell them the age of your children and what difficulties they are having.

Better still, bring your children with you. Most kids this age like going to the library. If you can't afford a library card, there is nothing stopping you from sitting and reading. Most libraries allow food and drink, and no longer ask patrons to be quiet. After a while, this could become an activity that you do with your kids when you have them.

Most libraries are also up to date on technology. They have face-book pages and on-line resources. And you can access any cities library just by typing in their web address. Some are better than others. Some web sites have really good on-line story times. Your youngest may really enjoy this, especially if you are un-able to sign up for any of the childrens program.

Comment

Thank you TLCRN and Frustratedwithex.

I will contact their school first thing in the morning. Their biggest issue is the dual language home. The ex's home is French and mine is English. I believe this has delayed both of them a little bit.

I will look into all sources of help for them at the school and local programs and libraries.

Comment

Nice Try but "NO that is not true". Dual language have nothing to do with it, actually these people are smarter....lol....I am and so are my children living proof of this.

I actually went to a totally "french school until grade 9 when my parents transferred me to a totally "english" high school. Want to talk about a shock, but managed". My children are bilingual!

This post should get some members going.....

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X