This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taxes and Daycare

Hello. I've been lurking here for a little while but this is my first post. My husband and I are in the process of separating and we have two small kids who are in full time daycare. We make approximately the same amount of money so we have agreed to split daycare costs down the middle.

He wants me to claim the child tax credits and offered to let me claim all the daycare costs as well. He was the one who left us and is feeling an extreme amount of guilt so he's pretty much leaving me with everything. I want to give him some of the tax break for daycare since I feel it is only fair.

I do my taxes in Quick Tax. My plan is to do them without putting in any daycare costs and and see how much I'd get back and then run them again with all the daycare costs and then split the difference with my ex. Is this feasible to do? And if so, are there any implications to me claiming all the daycare costs? I don't want Revenue Canada to come back on me and end up having to pay a huge amount of money back. I just thought this would be a quick and easy way to split the money.

The reason I'm asking this now is because I wanted to put it in our separation agreement but didn't know if it was a practical thing to do. Thanks.

Best to just following things by the book and do as CRA thinks you should.

What is the access arrangement for the kids - 50/50?

Guilt is not a good reason to take everything from your husband - if you no longer wanted to be married to him, would you leave him with everything? Everyone has a right to end their marriage - don't let him walk away with nothing.

Split everything (debts and assets) 50/50, hopefully 50/50 with the kids, and do CS by the book.

Comment

I'm not deliberately trying to take everything away from my husband. We are planning on splitting all debts and assets 50/50 and he will be paying me child support according to the tables. He does not want 50/50 access with the kids and would rather they stay with me but he has very liberal access to them. He currently takes our older son to daycare every morning and sees them 2-3 nights a week and Saturday. He has just moved into an apartment and I have offered multiple time to give him some of the furniture, etc but he has refused. I can't force him to take it. I still love him very much and would take him back in an instant if that was his choice.

Comment

I thought he was one of those walking away with nothing types. Good that you guys have worked something out that is reasonable.

Sounds like a tough time. Not sure why marriage has to go that way for some, some people don't know how to be happy. Time will cure all - and your children will love you forever.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X