Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Parenting Issues

Parenting Issues This forum is for discussing any of the parenting issues involved in your divorce, including parenting of step-children.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:58 AM

good_mom is on a distinguished road

There is your case stick with status quo....register him in the present area.

This is the best option for your son and you.

Do you have anything in your agreement saying he will be going to school in her area?
Old 11-06-2018, 04:25 PM

The-Iceberg is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by good_mom View Post
There is your case stick with status quo....register him in the present area.

This is the best option for your son and you.

Do you have anything in your agreement saying he will be going to school in her area?
Nothing in agreement. For JH I think you need both parents signature. If so it is likely leading to court. There is no single reason why I would let the kid be in her area for school. I know how things would go after that. Nothing good.

I should have let her know a long time ago that since our child was born and raised here will go here until he finishes High School. But instead she said he will go to her area.

One day we were sitting and waiting for dentist and she said to me "Don't you think it is fair that M goes to my area? After all I carried him for 9 month, gave him birth and so on. I was in no mood to debate so I just noded. Next time she said " I will register him soon" and I didn't say a word.

Now I feel as I agreed by nodding. I always do my best to keep my word so that is why I am anxious in this case.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:53 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

Hey Iceberg! Haven't seen you on here for a long time!

Good to hear that your son has passed those earlier years when his health was quite tenuous (scary). You and your ex managed to make it work even though I recall it certainly wasn't easy.

Do you realize that while you contemplate junior high school and the power struggle you and your ex still have, that you have to realize that your son is soon going to be old enough to get a babysitting job? Unbelievable eh? They grow up so quickly!

Think about what junior high is all about to people of that age. (I personally recall watching my older sister protest the Vietnam War and listened to music from Woodstock while smoking my first joint). Age of discovery for sure! I'd regroup and have a few discussions with your ex about where you hope to see your son go in the future... agree to both of your respective assets as well as the areas that the other parent is stronger.

The last thing you want to do at this time is to embarrass your son with his parents squabbling over child custody. Instead, work out a plan where, no matter which parent he ends up living with for school, that works out best for him. Many kids at that age want to go to school where their friends go to. My son was different and quite independent and actually wanted change, but then he was an only child and had different socialization growing up (primarily in company of adults which isn't great but it is what it is).

It is a very lonely world out there. Hope you can find some good things to balance your life with. Your son will always love you, no matter where he lives.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:05 PM

The-Iceberg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Arabian. Yes it's been a while since I was here. How are things over there? How's your son? When are you coming to Edm. so we can perhaps have that coffee we never had.

You are right about my son's age when in JH and believe me I know how to talk to him and about him. If things go her way I might see him less because I cannot drive 2x week from Millwoods to North. However my main fears are further alienation and when he needed his mom the most, except when he was sick, she wasn't there. She is not there now for him and will she ever be?

She has other plans. She knows I am not capable to drive that long and will get more days with him which will turn into something like EOW and eventually even worse. I will find him a counselor who specializes in PA or at least has decent knowledge so it can stop. It is lonely world indeed. When I was healthy I has 20ish good friends now that I am down...nix.

BTW my depression might have been MS. An MRI showed those lesions MS patients have but we do not know yet.