Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you.

A little update.

On Friday I went to passport office and spent 2 hours there waiting to sign my paper but I didn't know I could sign it home or anywhere else. she also was wrong when she said the child will have to sign it too in front of a passport person. But that's ok. Tonight or tomorrow I will call her and mention school, time with the child and other travel details when she gets them. She is supposed to leave in 3 weeks but still no airplane tickets. When you travel to Europe/Balkans you better buy tickets 2-3 months earlier otherwise they will cost $3-4K. She says she is looking for something around $2000. Unless she has minimum 6K for tickets she won't be able to go.

Comment

Sounds fishy. Any possibility she may already have tickets and travel details but doesn't want to share? And, is child supposed to be returning to same school as last year? If so, you don't need to register child again. The school assumes you are returning unless notified otherwise. I don't know but sounds like your ex is just being difficult. You know her best.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiritWithAhatchet View Post
        Thank you.

Tonight or tomorrow I will call her ..snip...

Do not call her. Send her a polite email asking for information on the trip, schooling etc. Calling doesn't leave a paper trail. You want her responses in writing.

Comment

I have travelled many times to Europe with my children. I was never, ever asked for a travel consent letter. The kids do not even have my last name. Only once, the officer asked 'where is dad?". My then 7 year old kid looked a little panicky, then answered "We are divorced". The officer did not blink and waived us through. So your ex might very well be able to travel even though you did not sign the letter.

Comment

I concur that Canada’s exit controls are pretty much nil and I also have never been asked for the travel consent letters I carry. My eldest has even gone travelled internationally as 13 year old with a man of a different ethnicity and name and they were never asked for any consent letters. But if you refuse to sign the passport you look like an asshole. Maybe ask that her lawyer hold the passports until you have received the info you require. Then if she does a runner her lawyer will be in hot water before the judge.

Comment

Same here. Travelled with two small children. Nobody asked to see anything. On way back child was asked where is dad. We replied he didn't come with us. That was it.

Comment

Maybe some parents aren't aware of it.

Hammer Dad. I Read your post too late and did the call instead of email but it probably made no difference this time..

When I asked about school location she said that we should wait for school principal to contact us because our first mediation/conversation was going pretty well. She seemed as she is willing to keep talking and to spend more time with me and the principal on this subject.

I don't even know if we will even see him anymore. But that was all. She also said she registered her travel tickets and will soon bring me a paper to sign a consent. She agreed to keep the child with me for 30 days.

Now I am stuck. I don't know what to do.

PS. I have no way to contact him When I asked for his email from ex she said she said shes not sure where she put it and will look it up one of these days.

Comment

Sounds like things are going OK. You can likely look up the principal online through the schools website and get their details there.

Regarding all of the people that have traveled without a consent letter: it isn't an issue until someone asks for it, and then it is a big one. I have traveled with my kid and have been asked a couple times. I always have it, so it has never been an issue. But if you don't, you can expect some issues getting to where you are going. Especially in instances where there is ongoing acrimony or disputes regarding the trip. A parent can call the CBSA and have the child flagged so they can't leave the country. So it is simply good to have the consent letter.

Comment

In your opinion the best thing would be to sign the consent and wait or look for the principal?

I thought to tell ex if she don't agree to school then I will go to court. Especially because she is leaving in 3 weeks and returning around when school starts. Because I think when she returns from Europe she will simply put the kid in her school.

Comment

Your only leverage is the travel consent letter. Why would you sign it and thus pretty much give her final decison-making in the school choice? Weren’t you also asking for all of July? Did you get it?
                      Last edited by tilt; 07-09-2019, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Yes I got 27 days of July so it is OK. But I don't know if I can use the consent for school location?

Or should I sign it and go to court?

Comment

Go to court when? In the two weeks before your ex leaves on vacation? You must have a speedy court service where you live. I doubt you can get a voice of the child report prepared in two weeks either.

Whereever your child starts school in September will most likely be their permanent school. It would be too disruptive to change schools after that point and few courts would agree to move the child. So if you don’t settle the question of what school the child is going to before you sign the travel consent, the child will go to the school chosen by the parent that has physical custody the first day of school. Since your ex is getting 30 days, and you are only getting 27, ask for your three days to include the first day of school as take your child to your choice of school if there is still no agreement (informing your ex ahead of time of course, and assuming she does not have a written Order that she has sole custody or final educational decision-making authority)

As a parent, you want this issue settled ASAP for the child’s sake. All this instability is not good for the child - at that age they need to know what school they are going to in September. So if this is not really a big deal to you or the child, don’t fight it. If you believe you are acting in the child’s best interest in choosing a different school than you should take all reasonable, necessary steps - including prioritising having the school issue settled before any travel plans are finalised and travel consent letters signed.

Comment

I agree with you. I told her that just now. She started raising her voice "nobody is stopping me to go for holidays" and also said the school that I want our kid to go to is dangerous. The current school principal (grade 6) said there are kids who are dangerous in that school and police is always involved and that my kid has connection to it like some kids threatened to stab him.

We have a meeting tomorrow. Just the 2 of us.She also said she will pay for her tickets tomorrow that she had registered. I told her not to rush as I won't sign consent unless we make an agreement.

Tomorrow hopefully we make an agreement. The only thing that worries me is the kids threats against my kid in that school that started on instagram and I found about it too late, when school was finished.

Comment

An agreement has been reached. Where is the best place to legalize our agreement? A Lawyer?

Comment

Originally posted by SpiritWithAhatchet View Post
                                An agreement has been reached. Where is the best place to legalize our agreement? A Lawyer?

Always a lawyer but you both need separate lawyers to ensure you have independent legal advice. If you skip this step, expect the ex to argue they didn’t understand the agreement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X