Divorce reopened after 10 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arabian View Post
    You will have 30 days to respond once you are served (the exact date will be on the papers you receive, along with forms you can use to file - you can likely download the same forms if you have to expand on your response). You will serve your ex (regular mail is fine) and file your response in your courthouse (they will ask you to sign an affidavit stating you served your ex).

Don't be surprised if the hearing is by written submission only. This is not unusual. You should be very organized for the hearing and your submission should be well-organized and contain all the information you are relying on. Therefore it is important that you carefully review the documents you are served with.

A "heresay" situation is lame. You should try to corroborate everything you are stating as fact. The Judge in your area will review the information your ex has submitted and your information. If the judge feels additional information is required, or if you request it and judge agrees to your request, the judge will send back request to the other court. This can go back and forth for many months and sometimes many years.

Read the PROVISIONAL Order carefully and point it out to your MEPS if need be: Order only becomes enforceable with approval of your court at your hearing.
    Would I have to serve him where we are in different provinces?

Comment

I think you can serve him by mail. I would do registered mail if possible.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X