Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Old 03-16-2021, 03:44 PM

Brampton33 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue22 View Post
He left me without any notice. I didn't want him coming and going as he pleased especially when I wasn't around.
You illegally changed the locks to the matrimonial home, which he is on the deed and legally owns? He is totally allowed to access to the house he owns.
And the basis of this was because you did not want him seeing the kids? Wow! Just wow!!
Old 03-16-2021, 05:00 PM

Helpmyspouse is on a distinguished road

The house is jointly owned. He is entitled to live there just as you are yet you lock him out denying him access to his property. And you lock him out because he was coming over to visit with the kids. One question. How would YOU feel if he locked YOU out? Then if locking him out wasn't enough now you are preventing him from his share of his equity. So you took his kids and his home. You give good women going through a divorce a bad name.
Old 03-16-2021, 06:39 PM

canthisberight is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayken View Post
Wow. Just wow. I don't even know where to start with this one. Off to you @Janus.
OK, so I was shocked too...that is highly illegal...I cant beleive that it hasnt been changed
Old 03-17-2021, 01:35 AM

Janus will become famous soon enoughJanus will become famous soon enough

I'm not actually that surprised, it is consistent with her other posts.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:53 AM

trueblue22 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
He left me without any notice. I didn't want him coming and going as he pleased especially when I wasn't around.
What I didn't mention was that he also took the children with him and had most of his belongings moved. I eventually got the childen back after a few days and my lawyer at the time advised I was fully within my rights to lock him out especially since I was scared he would try to take the kids again or if i was concerned he would come back and take more things out of the MH.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:59 AM

trueblue22 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpmyspouse View Post
The house is jointly owned. He is entitled to live there just as you are yet you lock him out denying him access to his property. And you lock him out because he was coming over to visit with the kids. One question. How would YOU feel if he locked YOU out? Then if locking him out wasn't enough now you are preventing him from his share of his equity. So you took his kids and his home. You give good women going through a divorce a bad name.
I am fighting to make sure my kids and I will continue to have a good life and standard of living after everything is finalized. I know I won't be able to afford to give the kids the same opportunity and experiences my ex will be able to provide but I'm going to try my hardest to get every penny I deserve to make sure we are on as even ground as possible. They already tell me about the nice things they have at their father's house when I ask them what they do with him.
Old 03-17-2021, 10:12 AM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I am fighting to make sure my kids and I will continue to have a good life and standard of living after everything is finalized. I know I won't be able to afford to give the kids the same opportunity and experiences my ex will be able to provide but I'm going to try my hardest to get every penny I deserve to make sure we are on as even ground as possible. They already tell me about the nice things they have at their father's house when I ask them what they do with him.

Your ex will be paying off set and spousal for a period of time. How is this not a good life? The problem is you are jealous of his income and what he has available to spend which is fueling this what I deserve bs. Your ex deserves to cut his financial ties to you and to stop supporting your poor financial decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2021, 02:56 PM

ihatepickingone is on a distinguished road

I'm going through the same.... you most likely owe rent. You can't deny him access to the property he owns
Old 03-17-2021, 07:31 PM

Helpmyspouse is on a distinguished road

Naturally your ex will be able to provide better for your children he is employed. I think to ensure you can do same you should focus on getting a job. It's the single best way to be able to provide for kids after divorce. Dont bank on what you are going to get out of a settlement. Lawyers will take from your equity. Only lawyers will gain financially from a divorce. You need to find employment.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:05 AM

UnderPressure is on a distinguished road

In addition to the massive expense of dragging this out you are also depriving him of his equity and the ability to build equity and profit from this low interest rate environment.

There is good news, the real estate market is super hot right now. I think your best move by far would be to sell the house, right now, and come to an agreement. I suggest offering table child support and net everything else out to a lump sum. The house sale can provide the cash for the payout to you. You will both end up with tens of thousands (maybe hundreds of thousands) more in your pockets if you can sell now and come to an agreement. The hot sellers market is spurring my settlement now, with sale of the matrimonial home likely to generate an additional $200k compared to a year ago. Sell sell sell. If you propose something reasonable with standard child support and the rest boiled down to a lump sum I think you will end up far better off.