What constitutes status quo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What constitutes status quo?

We have a 16 year old daughter. my daughter was supposed to come home Jan 10th from her dads place. However the ex had convinced our daughter to change to 50:50 access right away. would it be considered 50:50 right away bc she is a teen?

If you went to court and lost then yes they would count it as retroactively 50:50 from the time she started living 50:50 (or if/when he files a motion).

Comment

Links, OP filed a motion for support and updated financials. Her ex demanded 50/50 and is now enforcing it. Theres no order, its a verbal agreement by the kid. I have a feeling kid is trying to keep the peace.

Comment

In addition to her keeping he kid. I am confident there is manipulation on the other side. Ur buying her car on her 16th bday (she doesn't even have a license yet). New cell phone etc. I can't beat that NOR am I trying to

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
          Links, OP filed a motion for support and updated financials. Her ex demanded 50/50 and is now enforcing it. Theres no order, its a verbal agreement by the kid. I have a feeling kid is trying to keep the peace.
          The reason doesn't matter. All that matters is the actual location of the child.

See the long wilsonwilsonwilson thread for details

Comment

Originally posted by momwithteendaughter View Post
            In addition to her keeping he kid. I am confident there is manipulation on the other side. Ur buying her car on her 16th bday (she doesn't even have a license yet). New cell phone etc. I can't beat that NOR am I trying to
            Unfortunately, once your income reaches a certain level, it makes financial sense to bribe a child to stay with you. It certainly isn't illegal or discouraged to do so.

It is too bad that child support isn't more in line with the actual costs of raising a child. There would be far less nonsense if that was the case.

Comment

Thank you. How do I find the Wilsonwilsonwilson thread? I am new and just tried and unsuccessful

Comment

The WilsonWilsonWilson thread is here:

http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f...-choice-19620/

In brief: WWW has teenage kids, his order says shared parenting but the kids have been living with Mom for the last six months. WWW doesn't want to pay full table support to Mom because she didn't adhere to their agreement and let kids come to live with her. Many posters tell WWW this line of reasoning is not going to fly because CS follows the child, it is not a reward to the parent for following an order. WWW argues back. Lots of information about CS as right of child.

In your case, where the daughter has only been staying with her father since January 10 (right?) it might make sense to let another month or so go by before anyone concludes that this is the new status quo. Teenagers are changeable and she could be back by next week.

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
                  Unfortunately, once your income reaches a certain level, it makes financial sense to bribe a child to stay with you. It certainly isn't illegal or discouraged to do so.
                  You think so?

My income will crack 100k maybe soon and as my kids age it will increase again. Considering the bribery but don't want to be overt about it or get in trouble somehow, my kids would prob prefer to live with me and this would be an excuse......

I haven't seen any judgements berating parents for doing it...

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
                    You think so?
                    Janus is correct. There are a number issues with CS.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                    Working...
                    X