No announcement yet.

How many adjournments can you ask for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many adjournments can you ask for?

A quick re-cap!!I filed a motion for increase child support in Aug. of 2015 based on his increased earnings. He responded with a bunch of requests that skirted the increase request. In Aug. of 2016 at a settlement conference, I was able to get the judge to order substantial increase in CS based on his current earnings. There still remains over $2000.00 in arrears, which ex says he'll address along with his other requests for changes in the current order at a trial. I do most of the legal work myself but have retained a lawyer who assists me in making sure I'm following the right paths. He has been fantastic and very reasonable. After the settlement conference, we had a court date to set a trial date. His lawyer requested an adjournment, which we agreed to. A new date was set in Dec. to get a trial date and again they requested an adjournment which we agreed to. A date to set trial is again on the calendar for the end of the month and I expect the same. There is nothing to go to trial over. I have sent his lawyer letters agreeing to all ex has asked but don't get a response. It appears that ex is prolonging the debt of $2000. He makes a great salary and there is no reason for stalling. Question: How many times can he keep asking for adjournments? How do I proceed should he continue to do so? I just want to end this! Thanks for letting me vent. All comments are appreciated.

Register with FRO and let them collect the money for you. Simple. You have an Order.

Comment

Fro

Arabian: I am registered with FRO. My ex is of the opinion that the arrears are not legitimate and that's why he wants a trial. Trust me- the arrears are legit and that is 100% certain. That is what boggles me. He says he wants a trial but won't set a date.

Comment

If FRO has the order then they are obligated to collect are they not?

My ex (in Alberta) received many adjournments at one time. He ran through all of the excuses (without counsel, changing counsel, conflicting schedule etc.). I recall being very frustrated by the process but my lawyer wisely advised me that even if we objected my ex would likely be given leniency from the court. Eventually my lawyer requested a case management judge. This meant that the senior judge of court appointed a judge to manage our file and, sure enough, matters proceeded as ex's counsel then became more accountable to the court.

You could ask your lawyer what he thinks of proceeding with summary judgment, or failing that, case management?
        Last edited by arabian; 01-07-2017, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Here is a link for info about summary judgement (or here it is called "summary disposition"):

https://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov....isposition.php

Comment

Originally posted by niagaramom View Post
            Arabian: I am registered with FRO. My ex is of the opinion that the arrears are not legitimate and that's why he wants a trial. Trust me- the arrears are legit and that is 100% certain. That is what boggles me. He says he wants a trial but won't set a date.
            A date will eventually be set. Patience is required when dealing with this kind of stuff. It could take over a year to get there though. But, the judge will order interest on the arrears if you ask for it. So don't forget to!

Comment

Patience Required!

I agree with the above advice. Thank you! I am fortunate and thankful that I was able to get CS ordered to where it should be. I know that eventually the outstanding arrears will be looked after as well. I will see what happens with the next scheduled assignment court date. It may be that as suggested, I have a consult with my lawyer to speed up the process, if such is possible. I have learned that Family Court is unique in it's operation and that patience is a virtue. Thanks for the good words!!!

Comment

Finally done!

Almost 2 years to the day after filing a simple motion to increase child support payments to where they should be, a final order has finally been signed. Support is what it should be, arrears have been addressed and a payment schedule is now in the order.I had had enough with ex's continuous requests for adjournments, delays with changing lawyers, foolish settlement requests, etc. We finally had a trial date set despite a lot of opposition from ex. who kept saying we could settle. I knew it was totally stall tactics to avoid his financial responsibilities. Four days before the trial, he agreed to everything. I was so happy that I stood firm and not given in. I want to thank the forum for their advice, especially the one's who advised to remain patient and continue on. Just wanted to add an update. Thanks again forum.

Comment

Congratulations!

Hope your future is smooth sailing and that FRO is successful in collecting the money owed to you.

Comment

Incredible but true. It's funny how custodial parents worry if their arrears are going to be paid to them. I will answer this anxiety at once; YES. Don't worry. The system works for you, just sit back and wait. I would even say that you can start spending the money right away as it is just a matter of time before you get it. It's the law and the right of the child to get that money own to you.

On the other hand; when the custodial parent is a "gatekeeper" and would not allow more access or any access, the non-custodial parent must fight in Court to get more access and this is not guaranty. Even worst... there is no arrears on access. It's the law and the right of the child to get more access with the other parent as per the "Maximum Contact Principle" but... this is just to look good in writing... to apply that principle is a nightmare. The system works against the non-custodial parent.

Comment

I beg to differ!

To Mafia007: I was never worried or anxious to get what my child was entitled to. I am not or never was a "gatekeeper" as you imply. My ex has never "ONCE" been denied access and I was always open to extra access. You say"The system works against the non-custodial parent." For years, all my ex would say that he couldn't wait to get me in front of a judge, but when he was days away from his opportunity, it suddenly wasn't a good idea.
                      I have checked out some your posts and got the gist of what your situation is all about. On that I will not comment. In one of your last posts dated July 24/17 you indicate you have received a letter to appear in 2 weeks to set a trial date in Sept. In effect your trial should only be weeks away. Hopefully, once and for all, you can get all your issues settled. I sincerely wish you well!

Comment

Congratulations Niagaramom. Your story at least has a happy ending. I've been waiting close to 7 years now to go to trial. My ex has managed to have trial dates put off 8 times now. I am the custodial parent. At one point the children and I were homeless living out of my car while my multi-millionaire brain injured ex refused to pay child support. FRO wouldn't even go after him because he had made a $25 payment and was therefor making an effort. They finally took action when I sicked the Ombudsman on them.

It's been 7 years. Still waiting for calculation and payment of significant arrears, section 7 and property division. Not a single issue settled. I'm thoroughly disgusted with the court system.

I guess they must think that court ordering the custodial parent and children into poverty and homelessness is in the best interests of the children. Judges are a bunch of sick and twisted psychopaths.
                        Last edited by Stillbreathing; 08-21-2017, 08:26 PM.

Comment

niagaramom, I wasn't insinuating that you were a gatekeeper. I was generally speak... writing.

Happy it's over for you.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                          Working...
                          X