This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stay at home partners

Was just wondering for those who have gone through divorce and currently going through it what your thoughts are on "stay at home Moms" after learning more about Family Law.

Personally I feel that if 50% of marriage end in divorce and 75% of divorces are initiated by woman and 90% of support payments flow from Men to Women that having your partner stay at home during the marriage beyond maternity leave is an extremely risky and dangerous choice.

Share yours
    In my marriage, someone stayed at home and in future relationships I would do it again.
    0%
    In my marriage, someone stayed at home and in future relationships I wouldn't risk it anymore.
    0%
    Both partners worked in my relationship but in the future I would be OK with a stay at home partner.
    0%
    Both partners worked in my relationship but in the future I wouldn't have it any other way.
    0%

The poll is expired.

I think this poll lacks a lot of options for non-traditional arrangements, ie: the work at home parents.

I also think that opting to have a stranger raise your child rather than a parent to avoid potential financial implications should the marriage not be successfull is incredibly selfish, shortsighted and makes me question why one would have chosen to have children to beging with.

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
      I think this poll lacks a lot of options for non-traditional arrangements, ie: the work at home parents.

I also think that opting to have a stranger raise your child rather than a parent to avoid potential financial implications should the marriage not be successfull is incredibly selfish, shortsighted and makes me question why one would have chosen to have children to beging with.
      I guess, I can be found selfish.

I am married now. I was never married to my ex whom I have a child with. If/when my new wife and I have a child, I would never agree to one of us being a SAHP unless we win the lottery and can both stay home. Why?

1. We financially couldn't manage it and definitely not if I stayed home as I make 2x as much as my wife. We need both incomes.

2. In the world of "what ifs", in that should the unfortunate happen and we do go our separate ways, it is harder on each spouse to move on. One likely has to pay SS, the other has to look to get a job while having a big hole in their resume and likely limited job options.

3. We don't believe in traditional roles. We both contribute in every aspect and that is what is expected of both of us. From everything from an expectation that each of us must contribute financially to cleaning around the house and chores. We both pitch in.

Comment

Stay at home partner

In a situation where neither partner stayed home with the kids, that is no guarantee that spousal support will not be required. In a longer term marriage with a significant difference in income you could still end up paying.

Comment

Your poll should have a question regarding people who did it all: stayed home, worked, contributed finances to the business/spouse and home: non-traditional traditional marriages. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Learner View Post
            In a situation where neither partner stayed home with the kids, that is no guarantee that spousal support will not be required. In a longer term marriage with a significant difference in income you could still end up paying.
            But it may effect whether or not the spouse with the lesser income meets the entitlement threshold. If their career wasn't damaged by the relationship and they've always made a similar income, their argument for entitlement is weakened.

Yeah, there are instances where one spouse earns a substantial sum and the other is nominal, and SS could be included. But the length and amount would be lessened by the both spouses working.

Comment

op is wrong only on the basis of the section which deals with longer term marriages and what is termed "Merger over time" in that with each year passing the the incomes both spouses earn would in fact be divided close to or perhaps closer to 50% each and the standard of living for both would then drop an equal amount. I believe it is section 7.2 of the Spousal Support Guidlines that discusses the above.......

Stay at home Mom's or Dad's for that matter....as each new child comes into the marriage more and more strain is placed on that lower income to the point it costs more to have a stranger raise your kids than the lower income parent who would actually save the family money by staying home. This I do believe in even today - I would much rather have my kids raised by my spouse......

Comment

I would stay at home for the early years again ,if I met prince sincere and had another child BUT would continue education through distance education rather than disadvantage myself again.That and/or do some part time work from home job, to keep a cash flow.

Comment

I do intend to stay at home with my next partner but I will work. I couldn't see myself just doing anything else. In fact, I am currently working on starting a small business while still at my current job.

One thing is certain, I will maintain my own financial account. There will be no joint accounts. I have learned my lesson with that.

Comment

True, I didn't consider longer term marriages of 20+ years, nor did I consider it's possible to "work at home" and contribute. However working at home remains valid since each partner contributes financially.

I guess my overall point is that having a SAHP is incredibly risky for the income earning partner. If the marriage should later fail, BOTH parties are at a disadvantage.

I had a discussion about this concept on a non-divorce forum today and universally everyone thought I was a completely crazy, misogynistic asshole. But I figured that among divorcees and people who knows family law, it makes perfect sense.

I polled my new girlfriend and she also agreed with the thoughts you've all posted. It's nice for the benefit of the kids but it's a huge financial risk for the future of both people.

So I guess thanks for the support.

Comment

Originally posted by FightingForFamily
                      Personally I feel that if 50% of marriage end in divorce and 75% of divorces are initiated by woman and 90% of support payments flow from Men to Women that having your partner stay at home during the marriage beyond maternity leave is an extremely risky and dangerous choice.

Share yours
                      Well, in my experience most of the divorces are because of "other people". Those other people could be extended family members, people with whom spouses have affairs with, social workers trying to help (mostly women) (I have seen this a lot), friends, and people with whom you compare your spouses with etc. These issues are further intensified due to lack of communication, unrealistic expectations, presumptions and other factors.

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post

Perhaps the wording is not perfect but I think it is clear this is about not working.

Stay at home meant not working full time - ie career put on hold.

Congratulations if you did it all and stayed home and worked full time - but that is not what the poll is about - it is about deciding for one spouse to put their career on hold during the marriage and the financial risks associated with that when you separate.

Comment

Originally posted by billm View Post
                          Perhaps the wording is not perfect but I think it is clear this is about not working.

Stay at home meant not working full time - ie career put on hold.

Congratulations if you did it all and stayed home and worked full time - but that is not what the poll is about - it is about deciding for one spouse to put their career on hold during the marriage and the financial risks associated with that when you separate.
                          Having been the one who put my career on hold to stay home...I have had my share of difficulties getting back into my industry. I told my ex that having a degree doesn't automatically put you on the top of the list of getting a job. Employers want "recent experience". The decision to stay home was mutual. Pros outweighed the cons at the time. I didn't have a crystal ball that told me we'd be getting divorced. If I knew... I would have decided different. No regrets though.
                          It's been an uphill battle but I'm almost there.

Comment

Originally posted by singledad99 View Post
                            Well, in my experience most of the divorces are because of "other people". Those other people could be extended family members, people with whom spouses have affairs with, social workers trying to help (mostly women) (I have seen this a lot), friends, and people with whom you compare your spouses with etc. These issues are further intensified due to lack of communication, unrealistic expectations, presumptions and other factors.
                            Add to the list, influence from the media selling false images of what 'marriage' is really about and setting unrealistic and unattainable expectations on a marriage.

There is a known psychological phenomenon in which one couple in a social group get divorced which impacts the relationships of others.

Our society as a whole has lost perspective of what defines marriage and has created a market of expectations that just simply don't exist. People expect marriage to be easy, fun and exciting. What a lot of people in today's modern society can't do is compromise in their relationships.

The inability to compromise and work cooperatively as two people in a family is evident in the divorce statistics and unmarried partners.

Not saying that this is a bad thing but, just an observation of the "institute" of marriage and that it may not be relevant unless both parties to the marriage have some written agreement that defines what "marriage" is to them. (aka a marriage contract)

Society doesn't define what "marriage" or "parenting" is... The two people who entered into the agreement and chosen to have children should have to agree up-front and really consider the implications of what they are agreeing to.

Comment

Absolutely!! Avoid joint accounts and/or credit cards if you can! Been there, done that.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X