Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child support when child lives with grandparents

Hello
    I have two children. My ex and I have joint custody and up till now they have been living 50/50 with each of us.
    The older one, 17 years old, has decided to live full time with his grandparents for the summer before leaving for school. He will be living in residence during the fall.
    How do I pay child support for the summer? The grandparents are entitled to something to compensate them for feeding him. Would support be split between the ex and grandparents?
    Many thanks

If he is living solely with them it should be paid directly to them. If he goes back and forth it would be split.

Comment

Do you mean should the amount paid to the grandparents be split between you and the ex? or should the amount you pay be split between the grandparents and your ex?

I would think both you and your ex should pay support to the grandparents, but it's only for 2 months and if your ex does not agree, it will be difficult to force the issue.

Comment

is it your parents or the exs parents. If it is your exs parents then just keep paying the ex and they can sort it out.

Comment

It is my parents.

My plan is to pay the ex the offset for the one child that is 50/50.

For the older one that is living with grandparents, I will pay the grandparents the table amount for one child. That way I should have done everything properly and legally.

Comment

Originally posted by chskin View Post
            It is my parents.

My plan is to pay the ex the offset for the one child that is 50/50.

For the older one that is living with grandparents, I will pay the grandparents the table amount for one child. That way I should have done everything properly and legally.
            to do it legally you would need to change the wording of the order or have your ex's consent to redirect the money. There is nothing wrong with what you want to do. You just have to make sure you follow your order to the letter.

Comment

We do not have an order, just the separation agreement. In that we agreed that child support would end when they no longer lived at home. We have a separate section to cover funding the kids through post secondary.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X