This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• social insurance number

My Ex wife lawyer just asked me for my Social Insurance number. Why would he want this?

Probably to open credit line on your name ... (just kidding)

I have now idea why he asked that I would think he has no legal rights to do so. I actually black out all account numbers SIN number and any sensitive info on my papers filed in court ...

Comment

Unless they gave me extremely good reason (like they need it transfer some title of assets to my name etc), my answer would be "no".

Comment

Well now, I think that calls for a nice reply to her lawyer, asking why he wants it.

Then send a followup email asking if maybe there is some specific piece of information that he/she is after that you might be able to provide it directly.

He has only to get back to you again and ask.

Comment

Originally posted by OB1 View Post
          My Ex wife lawyer just asked me for my Social Insurance number. Why would he want this?
          OK I being curious and decided to confirm my gut feelings
          here yuo go

Who can ask for my SIN and when don't I have to provide my SIN?

The most common uses of your Social Insurance Number (SIN) are for:

your employer
          your income tax information
          financial institutions from which you earn interest or income (for example, banks, credit unions, trust companies)
          Canada Pension Plan (CPP) or Régie des rentes du Québec (RRQ) benefits
          Employment Insurance (EI) program benefits
          Canada Education Savings Grants (CESG) and Registered Education Savings Plans (RESP)
          Child Tax Benefit
          Canada Student Loans
          Goods and Services Tax (GST) / Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) claims
          Social assistance benefits
          Veterans benefits and programs
          Workers Compensation benefits
          child support payments.

For a complete listingl and brief description of the federal legislation and programs which are specifically permitted to use the SIN.

When don’t I have to provide my SIN?

Some private-sector organizations may ask for your SIN. This practice is strongly discouraged, but it is not illegal.

Here are examples of when you don’t have to give your Social Insurance Number or show your card:

proving your identity (except for specific government programs)
          completing a job application before you get the job
          completing an application to rent a property
          negotiating a lease with a landlord
          completing credit card application
          cashing a cheque
          applying for a video club membership
          completing some banking transactions (mortgage, line of credit, loan)
          completing a medical questionnaire
          renting a car
          subscribing to long-distance or cellular telephone services
          writing a will
          applying to a university or college.

Comment

Hey!
            You would not believe it.... I was on service canada web site and it just strike to me. At the end of the Legal Assistance

Just follow order of the events.. that would be so funny but that so sad enstead...

Life Events

Getting Divorced
            Lost Wallet
            Managing Your Debt
            What to Do Following a Death
            See all life events

it's getting better
            in Income Assistance section:

Life Events
            Having a Baby - isn't it odd ???? )
            Finding a Job
            Managing Your Debt
            Retirement
            Starting Post-Secondary Education
            See all life events
            Last edited by WorkingDAD; 05-04-2011, 04:04 PM.

Comment

They probably need it to register with FRO, so they can easily track your employer and garnish wages.

Comment

..and garnish your EI payments.

Comment

if she is paying you spousal she would need it to file her income tax

Comment

I would assume to have you regsistered with the FRO and have your wages garnished

Comment

FRO will ask your SIN on the form you both filled out at the beginning. Being in the middle of a Family Law trial, my ex has requested I provide one of my daughters SIN to replace a Life Insurance he cashed and terminated as per Court ORder. No judge over the past 11 years made an Order for me to provide the children's SIN, but did write an order for the agent to contact me DIRECTLY. It turned out that since my daughter was a minor then, the SIN of the adult, person taking the policy is required and NOT the child. Now that she is 19 yrs of age, I received a letter from the London Life agent and the main office stating I do not have to provide a SIN, and according to the Ontario Privacy Commisionner, a SIN is not required as per listed by Working Dad!
                      Since he has not replaced the policy being in "breech of court order", he now states to the Court since I refused to provide our daughter's SIN, he opened a bank acount in her name instead to replace the cash value he cashed on the policy. Nowhere in any of the financial statement it lists a bank account being opened, and will NOT provide his bank accounts number as per asked on the Financial Statement. I asked my legal representative at the time and she said that bank accounts number are used if needed by FRO and other financial agencies such as Revenue Canada Agency when monies is owed.
                      He is now asking again for both daughters SIN as his new wife contacted the OSAP office to obtain information as one daughter was attending college having completed her first year; and the other will be starting in September. I sent him all of our 2010 income tax returns and Notice of Assessments blanking out the SIN, but him and his wife again insist I provide the SIN since Section 7 is the major issue being dealt with at trial. We are both unrepresented and I could NOT find anywhere on the internet if legally I have to provide SIN. If I did give the children's which are 17 and 19, what can he do with their SIN? I have provided documents from OSAP, therefore, unsure what they need the SIN numbers for? to replace the insurance policy, he needs her to fill out a medical questionaire.
                      Anyone has any idea why he would require SIN of both daughters?

Comment

Since it is the children in common SIN's they are seeking; the information should move freely between the parents unless there is some sort of effective restraining order preventing not to occur. A child was born of two parent's, not one.

Comment

TLCRN, I honestly can't fathom why you would not share the children's SINs. It seems to me a reasonable request and you have been dragging this out for years, you are being unco-operative and spending time and money on legal advice so that you can keep information about the other parent's children secret?

Have you a single factual reason to keep the information secret?

You have gone out of your way to disprove the need for the SIN for insurance, but who cares? I've dealt with insurance agents and other financial reps for decades. They aren't experts in anything other than sales. It's totally likely that the form had a space for the SIN so they asked for it, end of story. There's no evidence of some conspiracy on the part of the other parent, and there is nothing he can do with the SIN that will harm you or the children.

You seem to be committed to maintaining an antagonistic relationship and putting the antagonism ahead of co-operation in your list of priorities. This could have ceased to be an issue years ago.

When my ex and I split up, we made photocopies of the children's BC, SIN and health card and we each keep copies in a file. The originals will go back and forth as needed. As far as I'm concerned this should be the standard for any reasonable situation. If you feel you have evidence that your ex will commit some criminal act with the ID then you should bring that forward to the courts, otherwise let it go and co-operate.

Comment

Good for you. You and your ex were able to exchange material and so fourth, but unfortunetely, NOT everyone is able to do this and as everyone knows being common sense, every situation is different. First, the Judge at the Case Conference wrote an order for the SIN NOT to be given to my ex and yes the children were minors at the time; Second, there was a restraining order and criminal charges with jail time; third, my laywer has had the children's SIN from the beginning; fourth, a different judges made an order for the chidlren's school and address to be obliterated, and this was the OCL lawyer who requested such. I wasn't in court for that motion but the judge must have had a good reason for this, don't you agree? Keep in mind Judges have to be a lawyer for at least 25 years before becoming judges, I am sure they have seen every case possible; Five, there is also an order for him to provide me with his address, telephone number, email address and not the opposite. Hum..I wonder why that is?? He had supervised access at the center which THEY cancelled as the visits didn't go well (I wasn't there and between the OCL lawyer and the center); Six, it has been dragging on for years and not because I was uncooperative like you say, but because he left for Jaimaica in the middle of a assessment ordered by the courts, and while the matrimonial home was for sale making it very difficult to deal with issues. It is so easy for one like you to talk and make your own assumption thinking it is always the other parties fault. Before making assumptions, and false accusations, I would take a good look at the whole pictures. My question was for someone who knows why ones needs the children's SIN especially since there is a Court Order not to provide it directly to him? same with asking for the children's birth certificate, and passport??

Comment

Originally posted by TLCRN View Post
                              Good for you. You and your ex were able to exchange material and so fourth, but unfortunetely, NOT everyone is able to do this and as everyone knows being common sense, every situation is different. First, the Judge at the Case Conference wrote an order for the SIN NOT to be given to my ex and yes the children were minors at the time; Second, there was a restraining order and criminal charges with jail time; third, my laywer has had the children's SIN from the beginning; fourth, a different judges made an order for the chidlren's school and address to be obliterated, and this was the OCL lawyer who requested such. I wasn't in court for that motion but the judge must have had a good reason for this, don't you agree? Keep in mind Judges have to be a lawyer for at least 25 years before becoming judges, I am sure they have seen every case possible; Five, there is also an order for him to provide me with his address, telephone number, email address and not the opposite. Hum..I wonder why that is?? He had supervised access at the center which THEY cancelled as the visits didn't go well (I wasn't there and between the OCL lawyer and the center); Six, it has been dragging on for years and not because I was uncooperative like you say, but because he left for Jaimaica in the middle of a assessment ordered by the courts, and while the matrimonial home was for sale making it very difficult to deal with issues. It is so easy for one like you to talk and make your own assumption thinking it is always the other parties fault. Before making assumptions, and false accusations, I would take a good look at the whole pictures. My question was for someone who knows why ones needs the children's SIN especially since there is a Court Order not to provide it directly to him? same with asking for the children's birth certificate, and passport??
                              just because judge make an order does not mean it's right and should not be questioned. Especially in Family Law...

I like that one about being at least 25 years a lawyer ... Kind of answer for all questions whay we have such @#$@#$@^@^ system ...

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X