5th year of high school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5th year of high school

I see a lot of topics on post-secondary.
    But I'm not seeing much about the 5th year of High School.
    OAC does not exist anymore. But 18 year olds are still going back to High School after graduating. Some for reason--upgrading/necessary credits for their college/university. Others just do a 5th year for the hell of it though.

So does anyone know how often/common that happens/continuing to pay child support for it?
    Is it something we should expect to happen?

Originally posted by pinkmorganite View Post
    I see a lot of topics on post-secondary.
    But I'm not seeing much about the 5th year of High School.
    OAC does not exist anymore. But 18 year olds are still going back to High School after graduating. Some for reason--upgrading/necessary credits for their college/university. Others just do a 5th year for the hell of it though.

So does anyone know how often/common that happens/continuing to pay child support for it?
    Is it something we should expect to happen?
    It happens often and you will be obligated to pay child support of the child is enrolled full time. Same with university. So long as the "child" remains a "child of the marriage" child support obligations remain.

Comment

Thanks Taken. I knew child support would continue in that situation. Just did not know how often/common it is. So now know to definitely expect it!

Comment

It is actually pretty common and cs is paid. We learned this as his kids were supposed to be in the victory lap year but then we found out they weren’t. If you don’t believe your kid is actually enrolled you can ask for transcripts to prove it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
          It happens often and you will be obligated to pay child support of the child is enrolled full time. Same with university. So long as the "child" remains a "child of the marriage" child support obligations remain.
          OK. Two of my friends were in their 30s and still going to school...... give the guy hope. When does it end?

Comment

Originally posted by pinkHouses View Post
            OK. Two of my friends were in their 30s and still going to school...... give the guy hope. When does it end?

Normally 21-22 and first degree. Most kids go to school at least a year after finishing high school or after a year “sabbatical”. Courts list first degree or 22 whichever comes first. Not to mention if they aren’t in school full time it’s not considered support worthy.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X