Ex and his lawyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex and his lawyer

My ex and his lawyer are a match made in heaven. Ex was fired from three lawyers, then located this 4rth. A match made in heaven. A nightmare for me.

Anyhow, I continue to received nasty emails and text messages from ex and his wife (years later). I decided in the last month or so to forward them all to his lawyer and ask that he demand his client stop emailing and texting me. That we should only go through his lawyer. I noted, ex could only CALL me if there was an emergency with our children. Ex continues to think this is a game and make his own rules. The text messages/emails keep coming, I keep forwarding to his lawyer and so on. Ex's lawyer does not reply at all to me when I ask if he is representing my ex? I ask that he clarify. I ask that he forward T4s and NOA's ect. I ask if he can provide these in three weeks as it has been three years since forwarding them to me. It is in our court order we are to exchange these each year. I have done my part and forwarded mine.

I even sent ex a cheque (brought to his lawyers office earlier this week), advising there would be no more cheque writing on my part until I have all T4s and NOA of his clients. Ex has had raises which he would owe me back monies for when he was paying me child support. I set we have to figure out who would owe who what, but I am not handing over another penny for the time being.

I advised ex's lawyer, I would be bringing by cheque and if he was not representing his client any longer, he email me to return to pick up the check. Well, he must be representing his client still as the cheque has been cashed. Yet, ex's lawyer still does not reply to my emails and requests.

This does not seem very ethical of a lawyer. How would you handle this? Would a judge think anything of this type behaviour on part of the ex's lawyer? To simply not respond to me at all?

Thanks.

lawyers typically communicate lawyer-to-lawyer. Are you self-represented?

You likely need to get some sort of Order/direction from the court compelling him to provide information and directing him to only communicate with you through his lawyer.

I still get emails from ex (g/f pretending to be him). I found that since I rarely respond to the emails, I don't get as many. There was a time when I didn't mind the emails because his g/f was so stupid she used to say things which really incriminated their position. I look at it now as entertainment. Often I don't even bother to open the emails for a week or so.

Drives people cccrrazy when you don't respond to their emails.

Comment

the exs lawyer may be following his clients advice not to answer you.

Comment

Ex and his lawyer

and that seems ethical? I mean, for a lawyer to not simply respond, "yes I am representing him, or no I am not?"

A lawyer can simply decide to not send my clients t4s/NOA as previously outlined and stamped upon in a court order?

And what happens if I were to decide to not hand over things my ex would want?

This seems so wrong!

Comment

Are you representing yourself? If you have a lawyer then his lawyer doesn't have to respond to you at all. He only talks to your lawyer.

You, or your lawyer, would have to take the ex back to court to get his hand slapped and to get a judge to order him again to turn over the necessary paperwork. Is it fair, nope but that is the way it is.

Comment

You should file a motion for contempt. However, know that it will likely not end up in a finding of contempt as judge would give your ex time to "purge" his contempt. What it will do is result in your ex turning over his information. When you file your motion be sure to be very specific in documents you require (list them) as well as date you require them by. Your exhibits would be previous Order as well as all your letters requesting same from your ex. You can also stipulate that you are requesting he be fined $$$/day for every day after your deadline. Be sure to include in your Order that you are requesting costs. A strongly-worded, concise document might propel the other side to action.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X