This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• neighbours and fence.

I will try and keep this simple. I live in a semi-detached home. I am so lucky that me and him get along really well, but I do not like the neighbours on the other side of me using him as a messenger.

They want to put up a fence between the back yards, there is a chain link fence there already. Instead of the owner of the property coming and talking to me personally, he sends his brother-in-law. I told the BIL that I am a single woman trying to make ends meet and I do not have the money for half a fence. If I am going to spend that kind of cash, I have a retaining wall and some work in the front that needs to be done, like a new driveway.

Now today, the neighbour I get along with comes and talks to me on the other guys behalf about the fence. They said that they want to take out the chainlink fence and put in a wooden fence and they would pay for it all. At first I said no but later i talked to the neighbour again and told him my problems.

1. first off the the owner of the property who wants to put up the fence hasnt talked to me personally.

2. They put up a fence between the two houses (they had my permission to take out the hedge and do it but its only maybe 20 feet and 2 feet high) They did a shitty job and its leaning already. Not impressed with their workmanship. The length of fence they would be putting in would be about 140 feet long

3. they want to do it tomorrow but havent done any locating of services and I know that there is rogers cable that is somewhere in the backyard, there maybe more stuff, I am not sure.

4. I want to think about it and not feel pressured to make a decision right away.

5. Never told the neighbour this one but they have borrowed his lawnmower for the last month or so. How can they afford quality materials for a fence if they cannot afford a lawnmower??

any thoughts on this?? If I do decide to let them take out the common fence and put in a fence at their cost how to I protect myself from them putting up a shitty fence? Its going to be about 140 feet long. How do I protect myself from them coming after me later for money for the fence??

Before anyone says, they can put up what they want if they are paying for it all please remember that there is already a fence there so it isnt a new fence. Also like I said, Im on a tight budget, I have a car that may need new struts in the front plus any extra money would be put to better use improving my curb appeal which sucks right now.

Having put up a fence between my property and a neighbour's I know that they don't actually need your permission. All they have to do is find the property line and put the fence up an inch off your property so it is entirely on theirs. The fact that they are doing the courtesy of consulting with you is a good thing, even if they are using an intermediary.

I would suggest that you ask them to leave the chain link fence in place, and they just build the wooden fence next to it, on their side. That way if their cheap fence sags, it'll fall onto their side.

I think if there is a chain link fence there now, they are probably clear for any utilities present along that property line.

Comment

^^^^ this. Good advice....

Comment

What a pain in the ass situation! The city I live in has actual bylaws about fences and they have "good neighbor" literature as well as a dispute department that deal with these issues. I think they are a sort of municipal mediation service.

Keeping the chain link fence in place is a good idea - they'll be cursing you but who cares!

Comment

good advice everyone. Just to clarify my neighbour (the nice one) it was his grandfather that put in the chain link fence and it was done using the survey and put smack dab on the property line. So yes they do need my permission to remove the chainlink, just like I would need theirs to remove it.

I am not sure they could or would use the same holes the chain link post has so if they dont, they could hit something so if not there is a chance to hit something like cable etc.

I also have a large gate that is about 6 feet long that is attached to the chain link fence and made out of the same material. They take out the fence, I lose my gate until I can afford to replace it with something.

We have bylaws that state how high a fence can be, what materials can be used and that the "good" side must face towards your neighbours when you put a fence in. I am not sure if it states how a fence must be constructed.

Its just so much easier to leave the chainlink and they build entirely on their property. I know that the little fence they put up isnt even in a straight line so cannot see them spanning 140 feet and keep it straight if they cannot even keep a small section straight. If I had the money to pay half I would want a professional (who knows all the rules) to do it so it would be done properly and legally

Comment

Originally posted by Rioe View Post
            Having put up a fence between my property and a neighbour's I know that they don't actually need your permission. All they have to do is find the property line and put the fence up an inch off your property so it is entirely on theirs. The fact that they are doing the courtesy of consulting with you is a good thing, even if they are using an intermediary.

I would suggest that you ask them to leave the chain link fence in place, and they just build the wooden fence next to it, on their side. That way if their cheap fence sags, it'll fall onto their side.

I think if there is a chain link fence there now, they are probably clear for any utilities present along that property line.
            THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ leave the chain link fence. Let them do what they want.

Comment

Originally posted by red6419 View Post
              THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ leave the chain link fence. Let them do what they want.
              I think thats the best idea. They can put up whatever they want on their own property (according to bylaws) , then no issues later of repairs etc. Plus when I sell, I can tell new owners that the fence belongs 100% to the neighbours.

I could just see this being a whole can of worms that I am not prepared to open. They have no cosideration for other people at all. They cut across my grass to get to their front door when walking (they have packed down the soil) when they have company instead of parking on street (overnight parking) they block the sidewalk totally. They use to park on the grass between the driveways and mostly on my lawn.

I think the thing that irks me the most is the the home owner didnt have the balls to talk to me himself. Its not up to the guys brother in law or my good neighbour to talk to me, it should be between the two people it affects only. There would be issues later with what was said etc.

Comment

Is there anything preventing you from going over and talking to the neighbour in question about it?

Messages passed can get misinterpreted...

Comment

Originally posted by OhMy View Post
                  Is there anything preventing you from going over and talking to the neighbour in question about it?

Messages passed can get misinterpreted...
                  Thats what I am afraid of. I told my neighbour that he should not be a go between, that the other neighbour should be talking to me personally about it. Maybe I am just being stubborn but they want the fence then they should be coming over to talk to me, not the other way around.

The go between neighbour also told him to talk to me himself. For some reason the guy wont but didnt give a reason so I cannot see me going over there to talk will help. He doesnt want to talk to me. i have never really had issues with them but if they are outside they dont say hi or anything to me. I tried a few times but just got blanked so stopped.

@slug, they dont need a permit unless its around a pool. I thought that was strange. I know a fence around a pool has to be a certain height and there are other things but a fence is a fence.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X