This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• email request

How would you word an email to the ex so he will stop having the kids drop off support cheques in my mail box?

He gives the kids an envelope when they come over for dinner and he tells them to put it in my mail box, but they are not supposed to tell me that they have done this because he tells them I have “issues”.

The kids’ come over, tell me that the envelope is in the mail box, and that dad told them not to tell me, and is it okay if they just give me the envelope.

My kids’ are older; they know what’s going on. I have asked the ex not to do this, that it is not the kids’ responsibility; that he is putting them in the middle, but he ignores my request.

How would I word the email so he stops doing this, or am I making an issue where there isn’t one?

Perhaps it might be easiest just to give or send the ex a package of stamps with a note requesting he mail the cheques directly to you rather than passing them through the children to you.

They shouldn't be in the middle nor should he be dropping comments to them about you, I don't think you're making an issue where there isn't one.

Comment

be thankful he is paying his support. If the kids are older and know what is going on then they can see that Dad is just trying to push your buttons. Does he feel that his way is better then mailing it, saving him a stamp, gets there regularly plus it doesn't get lost in mail??

Comment

What about offering some alternatives, such as an email money transfer instead?

Barring that, go setup a separate account at a bank that's close by either his house or his work, and give him the account #. With the account number and the name on the account, he can do a deposit at the teller.

If he won't stop involving the children....do you have a court order? Are you in Ontario? I hate to say it, but set something up through the FRO.

Comment

Or you can simply threaten with FRO...

"Ex, I have previously expressed to you my feelings about our children being put in the middle with regards to your method of delivering their child support cheques. It is not our children's responsibility to deliver these cheques from you to me, or to my mailbox. I will not tolerate our children being used like this any longer. You are welcome to deposit the support amount directly into my bank account through internet or tele-banking, or you may mail the cheques directly to me at my home address. If neither of these methods are agreeable, perhaps registering with the Family Responsibility Office will ensure that our children are left out of the support exchange, as it clearly makes them uncomfortable. Please advise as to your method of preference. If I don't receive a response from you by [date] I will have no choice but to register with the Family Responsibility Office, as this will be in our children's best interest."

Comment

Excellent advice and very well said, #StepMom.
            Last edited by Nadia; 08-30-2010, 10:59 PM.

Comment

It's very unfortunate that trivial matters like how the support gets delivered have to escalate into Battle of Britain proportion when in the court system.

That two people can't agree on such a simple matter does not bode well for the children.

Comment

What I am looking for are other perspectives.

Currently there is no battle going on, he just wants to show me he’s in control by ignoring the kids’ feelings and my request and doing what he wants. Yes, he’s pushing my buttons. No, I don’t go off on the kids or call him looking for a fight. I tell the kids its fine and not to worry about it.

He does not want to mail the cheques in case they are lost or stolen. We looked into setting up a separate bank account, but he didn’t like that.

We have no agreement yet, we are still working on this.I appreciate all the suggestions, and now I have some alternatives to suggest.

#1stepmom , thanks for the sample email. That’s what I need to know, how to word it so it’s straight forward and un- emotional.

Comment

Have your children tried telling their dad that they don't feel comfortable doing so? Perhaps encouraging them to speak honestly to him will help him realize that it's not about what you want... but rather what the children want.

Comment

Originally posted by frustratedwithex View Post
                    [FONT=Verdana]He does not want to mail the cheques in case they are lost or stolen. We looked into setting up a separate bank account, but he didn’t like that.
                    That is a completely bogus position to take. And it sucks that you can't agree on how to do it.

Comment

He doesn't "like" setting up a separate bank account? He won't like the FRO either. Write him that if he doesn't co-operate on a more appropriate method of payment that dosn't involve the children you will register with the FRO in 30 days.

Comment

Originally posted by Mess View Post
                        He doesn't "like" setting up a separate bank account? He won't like the FRO either. Write him that if he doesn't co-operate on a more appropriate method of payment that dosn't involve the children you will register with the FRO in 30 days.
                        After four years of paying my ex $700/mth in offset support (SS to her less CS to me) on time and in full, the SS terminated and she was to start paying me $300/mth CS. She missed the first three payments, then made an ad hoc payment.

I said screw that, I'm not going to the collection agent bad guy and I refiled with the FRO. Let them handle it. I (and you) don't need the headache.

Comment

Think logically people, these people are your ex's!! and they are your ex because you couldnt live with them anymore! They arent going to send you a cheque, they are looking out for themselves now!!! Look out for yourself and the children, involve the FRO, get your money and move on with your life and avoid the stress and anguish of an EX!!!

Take care

Comment

Marriages end for many reasons, not just because 'you couldn't live with them anymore'. Some of us aren't bitter towards our exes, some of us strive to have a decent relationship with them, especially when there are children involved. It's good for the kids to see their parents able to have a healthy, friendly and stable relationship despite the fact that they are no longer married. It's our responsibility as parents to teach them through our actions how to build and maintain relationships with those around us and how to handle difficult situations in a positive way.

It's far more logical to find ways to work WITH the other parent as opposed to against them, or just 'taking their money' and pretending they don't exist.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                            Working...
                            X