This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child support for

19 year old is back from 1st year college. Living with dad during the week and my home on weekends. Given that I would pay 527. if she lived with him full time.... what would I owe him under this situation??? Anyone know?
    Or is this considered full time? Thanks

It is going to depend on the over nights... will you have your son Friday, Saturday, Sunday night? If you have your son 3 nights a week, that is considered over 40% of the time and offset would apply, however if he is only staying there Friday & Saturday, you would only be at about 29%, which is considered full time for CS purposes.

Honestly, I have issue with "adults" being eligible for CS... at 19, they should be working and be able to support themselves through the summer (especially if they are living under Mom/Dad's roof). I personally think they should consider themselves lucky their parents have no choice but to pay for post secondary education.

Comment

Depends on what you mean by the weekend.

If she is there Friday night through Sunday night, and goes back to his place Monday, then you are 4/3 which is within 60/40.

If she is only at your place 2 nights on the weekend, then dad is considered to have full physical custody.

Is dad making an issue about it? Is going to ask for support? Have you spoken to each other about it?

Comment

I'm weeping for your saga.. in total tears.
        Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Honestly, I have issue with "adults" being eligible for CS... at 19, they should be working and be able to support themselves through the summer
          The child's earnings have an impact on child support. An onus (or imputed income) is not put on them due to the variable potential for employment - compare Betty who spends a summer working for Ford and earns 10k vs Bob who earns 3k working at Tim Hortons vs Brian who can't get a job, period. Only being available for a few months of the year severely limits already strained job prospects.

Comment

Originally posted by Berner_Faith View Post
            Honestly, I have issue with "adults" being eligible for CS... at 19
            Outside of family law circles, this is not well known. I imagine there would be a bigger hue and cry were it to become public knowledge.

Those that do know about it often think that the CS money goes to the kid. Hell, most people think that recipients actually have to spend CS money on their children.

Comment

Actually she's just turned 20. She has decided to live with her dad 5 out of 7 days, because he's given her an old beater car. He is a major manipulator and has lied to her saying he won't expect child support. He will do anything not to have to pay me and will manipulate her just to avoid that. He won't pay spousal which is 150 a mth., which I only received for about 6 months and not since. Bottom line is he will manipulate her and laugh all the way to the bank. He called this morning and said he will find out how much child support is and let me know. I called him first because he would get with it later for years in order not to pay spousal. I plan on letting my daughter know that he wants child support. At 20 she needs to know that he really wants to screw her mother around at all costs. He has tried to screw them too: by trying to get them to lie i court when he was pulled over drunk in the boat. Lucky it didn't go to court but it ended the marriage because he was teaching her and my son to lie and that thats what families do. Yes, she has a full time job this summer. Not that the law makes a difference. I am just so frustrated and can't get ahead. Once I start to something like this happens. Somehow in her eyes I look the bad guy.

Comment

Originally posted by momiss2 View Post
                I plan on letting my daughter know that he wants child support. At 20 she needs to know that he really wants to screw her mother around at all costs.

....Somehow in her eyes I look the bad guy.

It would be really sad if you brought your daughter into this. This has nothing to do with her, and she shouldn't be involved. Why would you want to put her in the middle, and put stress on her? I wouldn't want to live with someone doing that to me... How are you certain the father doesn't just want to be with his child? Many parents give their kids what they can, but that doesn't mean they're trying to bribe them...

Comment

Those are the people that grow up to become entitlement chasers
                  An early push in the right direction can have a great impact on a child's adult life. Sometimes the kids working at Timmy's are still taking on thousands in student debt and do not have the time to excel at school.

Comment

I have a very good job and diploma but 500 a month is very steep. He does want to see his daughter which I would never interfere with. I lived in a life with him where he had the control, and was an emotional abuser. I know that its all about money for him because I was with him for 25 years. Any extra money I have is spent on my daughter for cloting she may need, groceries etc. when she was away at school last year. Its about a power play on the x's part and wanting to screw me anyway he can. That has always been what its about. He makes more. In the agreement it said 150 spousal which he hasn't paid. What does that tell you.

Comment

I agree kids need to work and put themselves through school which is what I did as well. Also believe they are going to have a much harder time finding suitable careers, even with an education.

Comment

I know that its all about money for him because I was with him for 25 years.
                        The day you two separated was the start of a new life. Single parenthood will usually force a person to change and become a better parent. It doesn't matter anymore between you two, only the kids.

Any extra money I have is spent on my daughter for cloting she may need, groceries etc. when she was away at school last year.
                        When your child moves in with her dad and you start paying full child support, you won't have to worry about the clothes, groceries, activities, etc, as those will be the dad's responsibility paid for by your child support.

Its about a power play on the x's part and wanting to screw me anyway he can. That has always been what its about. He makes more.
                        Your ex has no say in it. Child Support is the right of a child, so he can't tell you don't worry about paying. The law says you have to pay. The good part is given her age, you won't have to pay for long.

It makes no difference who makes more money. CS still has to be paid. Janus' posts will tell you all about it.

In the agreement it said 150 spousal which he hasn't paid. What does that tell you.
                        It tell me you are condoning it, letting him get away with it. The first time he didn't pay, you should have been back in court garnishing his pay and forcing payment. By letting him get away with it for so long shows you don't need it as bad as you say.

Comment

True ....but I'll like to think the percentage is minimal.
                          Talk to friends with children in university, or better yet talk to their kids. The students that fill grad schools were able to spend their time studying or volunteering, not working minimum wage jobs through school. Kids today have it easy in many ways, but with very few exceptions does Bobby who works to pay for school get ahead of Betty whose parents are giving her a free ride unless Betty is too lazy to apply herself at school.

It is not an accident that they are called "advantages".

Comment

Originally posted by HappyDays View Post
                            It makes no difference who makes more money. CS still has to be paid. Janus' posts will tell you all about it.
                            My particular situation is that I have fully shared custody, and I pay CS to a substantially wealthier household, completely contrary to the best interests of my children, as mandated by family law. As a result, my view on support is somewhat negative.

But yeah, CS in a full custody situation is potentially extractable under all circumstances, regardless of any agreement by the parents.

The first time he didn't pay, you should have been back in court garnishing his pay and forcing payment. By letting him get away with it for so long shows you don't need it as bad as you say.
                            True for spousal support, not true for child support. Remember, spousal support is needs based to a certain extent, CS is not. Your ex could be Bill Gates, but if he has your kids, you're still looking at paying CS on your $30K salary, even if he hasn't claimed it for the last 3 years.

Comment

I assume when the child was younger and living with you, that he paid CS, because you never mentioned he didn't...just that he didn't pay SS... that being said, now that the tables are turned, you are obligated to pay... I also assume, had she decided to live with you, you would still go after CS.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X