This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good lawyer/bad lawyer...

I wanted to get some opinions, my husband and I are having misgivings about our lawyer. But to be honest I'm not a lawyer so I don't know whats 'normal' or whats unreasonable.

We always have to make a few phone calls each time to get our lawyer to follow up with something. Our lawyer called last week and said there has been an update and we needed to speak the following day...well the day came an went without a phone call and when husband called to try to reach the lawyer we were told she wasn't available. He also sent an email which has gone unanswered.

We've been doing this court thing for about 2.5 years now and we've only had one case conference and what should have been a settlement conference but our lawyer let the ex's counsel book that and she messed up and booked a trial management conference., which we didn't find out until two days before and by then it was too late to do anything about it.

We stated from the beginning that although we knew it would cost more for us if our side handled all the paperwork and filing we were more than willing to spend that money knowing we would have the peace of mind that things were getting done in a timely fashion yet on quite a few occasions we've had lengthy delays waiting for the 'other side' to get their act together, because our lawyer had agreed with the ex's lawyer for them to do whatever paperwork was required at the time.

We've spent about $15,000 so far and we haven't gotten very much futher ahead from where we started.

Does any of this sound reasonable. Perhaps I'm 'old fashioned' but I believe when you're paying for a service you should get it. You should not have to make repeated phone calls to get an answer to a question. If your client sends an email you should reply within a business day or two. The person providing the service should be on top of things etc..I can't imagine any other service out there where you could get away with such practices and still be in business.

At this point my husband is ready to give up the fight for custody and even visitation, this is taking an emotional toll on him. Its gotten very nasty with no end in sight, not to mention the financial strain.

So what does everyone think??

If you have spent approximately 15K, you can bet the other side has as well unless covered by legal aid.

Has he considered being self rep to ease the financial strain. All the forms are online.

Since you had a trial management conference, I believe you have to push the matter to trial for resolvement of the issues unless the parties can settle this beforehand.

lv

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X