X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want a good lawyer to review or revise a settlement

Hi all,

I know there is no quick and safe solution for CS, I am looking for a good lawyer to create a strong protective settlement agreement for a lump sum CS. Considering my health status, I am not expecting higher income, possibly no income in the future if become disabled, but I am willing to pay a lump sum to help my child when I Can, just wanted to prevent from being attacked again by ex later on. Can anyone recommend a good lawyer?

Thank you very much!

Like others have told you in a previous post, she can always go after you later on. When it comes to the kids, a parent can file court/seek more as many times as they want.

Comment

Lawyer here, at best you'll get credit for the lump sum payment. No lawyer can fully contract you out of future child support, nor prevent someone from bringing you to court.

Comment

Seriously. Do not do a lump sum payment. And truly by worrying about doing that you are impacting your mental health.

Comment

thank you all for your comments, what if I have no income later on due to health issues and have paid a lump sum already, what could be the result if brought up to the court again? sell my residential house for CS?

Comment

Originally posted by gmcode View Post
            thank you all for your comments, what if I have no income later on due to health issues and have paid a lump sum already, what could be the result if brought up to the court again? sell my residential house for CS?

If you’re in a position for a lump sum why not take that lump sum and put it in a TFSA or savings account and just pay monthly? Earn some interest on your money and still maintain CS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

save legal cost, lump sum could be a bit less than monthly CS over time and solve possible retroactive CS, and take health into consideration. thanks

Comment

save legal cost, lump sum could be a bit less than monthly CS over time, and take health into consideration. thanks

Won’t save you legal cost, if you’re not expecting an income increase as stated you won’t be saving anything, regardless of health you’ll owe CS.

Comment

thanks Berner_Faith for your inputs, did you mean even if I paid lump sum based on my current income good enough for many years down the road, and ex was aware of my health issues and agreed not to seek more CS in the future in exchange for a lump sum, in case I lost job later on due to health, ex can still claim CS later on when I have no income? I will be ordered to pay CS even I have no income? thanks.

Comment

thanks Berner_Faith for your inputs, did you mean even if I paid lump sum based on my current income good enough for many years down the road, and ex was aware of my health issues and agreed not to seek more CS in the future in exchange for a lump sum, in case I lost job later on due to health, ex can still claim CS later on when I have no income? I will be ordered to pay CS even I have no income? thanks.

Your ex can come after you for cs at anytime. How are you going to support yourself on zero income?

Comment

I am old in poor health, have a bit of RRSP, may sell the house eventually if can't work any more. I don't worry she come after for CS later on, just wanted to know what will happen in the court in this case, that is, lump sum paid, no income any more.

Comment

I am old in poor health, have a bit of RRSP, may sell the house eventually if can't work any more. I don't worry she come after for CS later on, just wanted to know what will happen in the court in this case.

How old are your children? If you’re “old” then your children must be close to ending cs?

Comment

teenager. I just wanted to do my part for the child to give a lump sum, then I won't regret. but worried if she come back again while I have no income or very low income from RRSP, what will happen in the court? I have to prove I can't not work due to health? sell the property to pay? order a retroactive?

Comment

teenager. I just wanted to do my part for the child to give a lump sum, then I won't regret. but worried if she come back again while I have no income or very low income from RRSP, what will happen in the court? I have to prove I can't not work due to health? sell the property to pay? order a retroactive?

You are better paying monthly and when and if the time comes you can’t work then file. Lump sum doesn’t work. If you have legit health concerns and can’t work you have nothing to worry about. If you’re just hoping for an early retirement, well good luck

Comment

I don't want early retirement, I was ever on long term disability before due to the same health issue, insurance company approved and supported me, but there was no CS case at that time. Now CS and court is involved, don't know what could be the result at court.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X