Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access motion and costs

Hello,

So I recently received a letter from the ex’s lawyer that they are getting a date for case conference to schedule a motion to fight for access and will be going after full costs. So here’s the situation: my ex and I live apart with our son living with me. Never did I impede on his access. Last year pre Covid he was coming biweekly and I even give him all the stuff and food to make sure our son is taken care of. Post Covid he wasn’t coming regularly anymore. Even after stage 3 hit he’s come maybe once or twice and had his overnights with our son by either residing in a hotel or with his family but stopped coming regularly. I’m okay with him coming and sharing the holidays but he wants weeks at a time each month before our son goes to kindergarten next year. He’s such a small child. I don’t want to fight but I don’t see the logic of what he wants. If this goes to court from your experience — will he be able to get a court order to that degree. Also costs— provided I give a good offer to settle will he be getting his costs from me or is this a scare tactic? I’m just so fed up.

You always ask for costs. Doesn’t mean you will get them.

Make a reasonable offer. He let you move, he hasn’t exercised his time, he will have to demonstrate why his allowed status quo should change.

Getting a conference date is a good thing. It means a judge will start directing you both to settlement.

Comment

What is a reasonable offer? I was offering to continue half the weekends and half the holidays and extra time in the summer. I don’t mind giving up more time but our son is so small now.

Comment

Thats reasonable. He is also going to have to answer for why he was ok with the move but now isn’t. A judge will see through him quickly.

Comment

Not quite sure about your case but here are my two cents for what it is worth.
          -every two weeks visit
          -alternate x mas
          -two weeks in the summer
          -other holidays for the year let them be
          -except for each others birthday
          -once your baby goes full time to school you will have more control
          -just think of this if you both lived within the school boundaries and you were both nice to each other life would be perfect
          -but when time goes on and maybe you want to move or he wants to move out of the boundary of the school then comes the fight
          -if you have the baby full time you are in control
          -non of this driving back and forth
          -I strongly believe that a child needs stability

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X