Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 09:44 AM

Foredeck is on a distinguished road
Default Finally over!

WOOHOO!!

Ok, it's 11am, and I'm at work. So, can't open a bottle of wine (I have a bottle in the fridge that's been there for a year, just waiting for this day!).

My ex just called me to inform me that she signed the separation agreement, everything is over. Her lawyer just has to send it to my lawyer.

It's very stupid, since I made an offer 18 months ago, and she decided to drag this through the mud and back. In the end, the offers are very similar, and I believe there's practically no monetary difference over the next 15 years between the two deals.

Now, one chapter is closed, and I'm ready to move on to the next one

And, I have to say thanks to everyone on here. This website saved me a ton of money in legal fees, and more importantly, a ton of stress.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:33 AM

CISTEAD is on a distinguished road

Yay for you........Victory is yours!
Old 07-27-2010, 10:36 AM

dadtotheend will become famous soon enoughdadtotheend will become famous soon enough

Congratulations!!!!

Hope that boggle of wine has been sitting on it's side all this time.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:17 PM

wretchedotis is on a distinguished road

I'm so looking forward to the end... am jealous!
Old 08-16-2010, 11:00 AM

Foredeck is on a distinguished road

The joys of summer, I signed it over a month ago, and my ex signed it fairly promptly after receiving it, however, with vacation (between the two of us, and our two lawyers), I've yet to receive anything official yet. However, I have a copy of the signed agreement, that was faxed to me.

I called my lawyer for an estimate of the legal fees, and he said that the total fee, including filing all the paperwork with the province would be approximately $1,500. I was budgeting for a bit over $5,000, so am overjoyed with this.

I saved a few thousand dollars through this site and with canlii. On a few occasions, I dealt directly with her lawyer, or I told my lawyer exactly what to write, so he wouldn't have to research it.

In the end, I had 3 or 4 1-hour appointments with him, and had a few e-mail conversations.

Now that it's over, I'm trying to think of what could have been done differently, or what could change to make it easier.

I can't really think of anything I did that made the situation more complex or more difficult.

I offered a fair offer 18 months ago, and she finally agreed to a very similar financial agreement.

The only thing I can think of is that the law should specify that shared custody is the default one. This would have saved us 6 months where she was thinking of going for full custody simply for the extra money.

And, maybe a bit more clarification in the SS. At first, she demanded a SS amount that would have ended up having her make a bit over my income. I'm not sure how to clarify it, but with her receiving different income from the government (mostly non taxable), her lawyer could not calculate her actual income.

Now I can move on, and start working on the joint partnership and hopefully mind someone I'm more compatible with to live happily ever after with.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:44 PM

kanan is on a distinguished road

congrats....
Old 08-16-2010, 07:03 PM

Mess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the rough

Good news! I'm happy for you, I got mine signed just a few months ago after a 3 year fight over nothing, let me tell you the change in your life is huge, even though it seems like only a piece of paper, now you can move on. Good luck!
Old 08-17-2010, 01:16 PM

billiechic is on a distinguished road

Congrats!!
Old 08-17-2010, 10:53 PM

logicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to logicalvelocity

ahhh...light at the end of the tunnel. Congrats.
Closed Thread