I am not ready

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am not ready

Hello everyone, I am in need of your advise and opinion please.

Parent A and Parent B, joint 50/50 custody, child elementary school age resides with one parent, another parent has typical every other weekend access.

Child continuously is asking questions why they are residing more with one parent and less with another parent and why don't they live equally with both parents.

Child expressed a wish to live 50/50 with both parents on a number of occasion.

"Access" parent contacted their ex, on a number of occasions asking to have one additional day with the child and mentioned that the child support obligations will not stop or change going forward.

"Main" parent responded saying "we spoke about it already many many times and I'm not ready".

The so called "conversations" were something like this:

- Question: I would like to get more access to the child.
    - Response: a) child is too small; b)I am not ready. c) No
    - Question: Why not? Could you give me a reason/reasons?

- Response: Because I said so and I don't want to talk about it..."

1. Can one parent deny more access just because they are "not ready"? The best interest of a child should be taking in consideration first of all I think, not readiness of that person
    2. What can be done? How to respond to this?

Thank you

How old is the child?

Why is the access parent even discussing this with the child?

How long has the arrangement been status quo?

I remember your other post. Is child still having behaviour issues at school?

Other than the child wanting a more even distribution of parenting time, any other reason to change the current arrangement?

Comment

Also, when you say “joint 50/50 custody”- do you mean, joint custody with primary residence to the other parent?

Comment

Originally posted by Mother View Post
        another parent has typical every other weekend access.
        I wouldn't call it typical. It's become far less common than in the past.

Child continuously is asking questions why they are residing more with one parent and less with another parent and why don't they live equally with both parents.
        This question will cross every child's mind at some point in their life. Child's concern with their arrangement of time with parents will need to be addressed.

Answer is simple if it was an agreement, mommy and daddy agreed on this when we separated. I will speak to dad to see how we can make things better for you.

IF court ordered, then something like, when parents separate, an arrangement has to be in place for the children. I will speak with dad and see how we can make things better better for you.

Child expressed a wish to live 50/50 with both parents on a number of occasion.
        As any normal non-alienated child could would and should. Child's preferences of this nature should be given significant weight. Mother should accommodate or risk resentment by child.

"Access" parent contacted their ex, on a number of occasions asking to have one additional day with the child and mentioned that the child support obligations will not stop or change going forward.
        Excellent father. Has taken a child focused and reasonable step/attemot to addressing and accommodate child's views and preferences.

Knowing the mother would use child support as a reason to deny, he's waved that so the mom has no such excuse to make. Hes intentions are clean. Personally, I wouldn't offer a higher child support amount. Father is being very generous here.

"Main" parent responded saying "we spoke about it already many many times and I'm not ready".

I've had silly excuse from my ex too. Truth is, as you have acknowledge in your post, nobody really cares about the mother's readiness. It's about what's best for the child. Too often mother's/women want what's best for their feelings and emotions at any particular given time. That's why you have some particular mother's demanding incremental access increases.

The so called "conversations" were something like this:

- Question: I would like to get more access to the child.
        Reasonable request that is going to be provided to a judge.

- Response: a) child is too small; b)I am not ready. c) No
        Unreasonable response. Will be put before a judge.

- Question: Why not? Could you give me a reason/reasons?
        Reasonable question before heading to court.

- Response: Because I said so and I don't want to talk about it..."

In other words, I'm the queen of England, so it's my way or the highway. I know I can't use the child support argument against you and I don't have anything else to use against you so I don't want you to know my real reasons because I know I'm being unreasonable and have something to hide.

1. Can one parent deny more access just because they are "not ready"? The best interest of a child should be taking in consideration first of all I think, not readiness of that person
        No, they can't. If they're not ready to accommodate what's best for their children then they are not ready to be a fit parent.

Yes, correct. Family law is about the best interests of the child - not the best interests of the mother.

2. What can be done? How to respond to this?
        You see, children are smart and parents can only get away with so much for so long. Let's start first with
        What can't be done. You can't start disparaging and making ill founded accusations against him. What can be done is you simply agree to give the children an extra day with their father and deliver the good news to the father and the children. This also addresses your question of how to respond.
        Last edited by tunnelight; 08-23-2019, 04:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tunnelight View Post
          This question will cross every child's mind at some point in their life. Child's concern with their arrangement of time with parents will need to be addressed.

Answer is simple if it was an agreement, mommy and daddy agreed on this when we separated. I will speak to dad to see how we can make things better for you.

IF court ordered, then something like, when parents separate, an arrangement has to be in place for the children. I will speak with dad and see how we can make things better better for you.
          This response I agree with. Everything else you said? ehhh.

I really think it depends on the age of the child.

If they were a pre-teen or teenager and they didn't want to go to the access parents on the weekend because they wanted to hang out with their friends, would you still say that the parents should work together to address the request of the child? Would you say that the access parent should suggest they have less time? Yeah, I didn't think so.

Kids preferences and wants should absolutely be accounted for, but only to a certain extent. If they didn't want to go to the other parents home- there would be at least 10 posters in this thread pointing out that kids don't want to go to school and you still have to make them go. So what makes the reverse situation different?

If there are no concerns about safety or basic care of the child, and the parents are prohibitively far apart (>1hr), I agree that there doesn't seem to be a valid reason NOT to add the extra day mid week...or tack on a monday.

Also- not every mother is your ex. Calm down.

Comment

Originally posted by tunnelight View Post
            I wouldn't call it typical. It's become far less common than in the past.

As any normal non-alienated child could would and should. Child's preferences of this nature should be given significant weight. Mother should accommodate or risk resentment by child.

Excellent father. Has taken a child focused and reasonable step/attemot to addressing and accommodate child's views and preferences.

Knowing the mother would use child support as a reason to deny, he's waved that so the mom has no such excuse to make. Hes intentions are clean. Personally, I wouldn't offer a higher child support amount. Father is being very generous here.

I've had silly excuse from my ex too. Truth is, as you have acknowledge in your post, nobody really cares about the mother's readiness. It's about what's best for the child. Too often mother's/women want what's best for their feelings and emotions at any particular given time. That's why you have some particular mother's demanding incremental access increases.

Reasonable request that is going to be provided to a judge.

Unreasonable response. Will be put before a judge.

Reasonable question before heading to court.

In other words, I'm the queen of England, so it's my way or the highway. I know I can't use the child support argument against you and I don't have anything else to use against you so I don't want you to know my real reasons because I know I'm being unreasonable and have something to hide.

No, they can't. If they're not ready to accommodate what's best for their children then they are not ready to be a fit parent.

Yes, correct. Family law is about the best interests of the child - not the best interests of the mother.

You see, children are smart and parents can only get away with so much for so long. Let's start first with
            What can't be done. You can't start disparaging and making ill founded accusations against him. What can be done is you simply agree to give the children an extra day with their father and deliver the good news to the father and the children. This also addresses your question of how to respond.

tunnelight , thank you so very much for your great response. Agree with what your thoughts are and it is sad that some mothers are on the power trip trying to get what they want (mostly money) and make ita ll about themselves.

Comment

tunnelight , thank you so very much for your great response. Agree with what your thoughts are and it is sad that some mothers are on the power trip trying to get what they want (mostly money) and make ita ll about themselves.
              Happy to hear that I was of assistance to you. I wish you well.

Comment

And another denial from that same parent:

"this is not going to be discussed you dont like what I am saying you can go ahead and hire a lawyer. well go thru this again. we've done it once I'm willing to go thru this again

"Child" is not ready to spend a week away from me and "child's" sibling. I'm sorry

so if you are not liking my answer . get a lawyer !"

I don't even know what to say to this creature.

Comment

Do you have an agreement outlining parenting time?

If yes, are you currently receiving said parenting time in the agreement?

If yes, has there been a material change in circumstances that warrants a change to parenting time?

If no, you can’t change what was agreed to or force the other parent to agree. Sure you can say “our agreement says ‘and any additional time as agreed to’ which is what I want to do” but the issue is the other parent can say no. They can say the sky is blue and thats my reason. You have an agreement, you are following it. You listened to child and went through the process to request it and the answer is no. Your ex doesn’t have to have a reason other than this is what we agreed to. Maybe it’s about money, maybe it’s alienation, maybe it’s no other reason than they like it this way. The bottom line is you have an agreement and that is what is to be followed.

You can go and debate in another thread about why you didn’t agree to more time or stepped up time or whatever time necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
                    Do you have an agreement outlining parenting time?

If yes, are you currently receiving said parenting time in the agreement?

If yes, has there been a material change in circumstances that warrants a change to parenting time?

If no, you can’t change what was agreed to or force the other parent to agree. Sure you can say “our agreement says ‘and any additional time as agreed to’ which is what I want to do” but the issue is the other parent can say no. They can say the sky is blue and thats my reason. You have an agreement, you are following it. You listened to child and went through the process to request it and the answer is no. Your ex doesn’t have to have a reason other than this is what we agreed to. Maybe it’s about money, maybe it’s alienation, maybe it’s no other reason than they like it this way. The bottom line is you have an agreement and that is what is to be followed.

You can go and debate in another thread about why you didn’t agree to more time or stepped up time or whatever time necessary.

Yes, there is an agreement in place which is being followed. However when this agreement was signed, the child was 18 months old. There was not much another parent could do at the moment. The child is in elementary school and there is not a single reason that parent cannot or should not have more access especially if child support obligations remain the same, parent is willing to make it official through the lawyers, child expressed the wish to be more with this parent.

So if family law is all about the best interest of the child and a parent tells you "Well, I am not ready", is this reasonable? Would you agree to just accept it as the last and only truth? I don't think so. There is no such thing as the final agreement in family court as far as I am concerned.

Comment

Well since the child has aged out of the original issues that could be considered a material change in circumstances. In which case, file a motion for additional time. The mother is never going to agree which means you are simply spinning your wheels. File a motion and let a judge decide.

Also, stop worrying about the cs and keeping it the same etc. In written correspondence you simply say it would benefit the child and point out all the ways it will help the child.

Comment

Well since the child has aged out of the original issues that could be considered a material change in circumstances. In which case, file a motion for additional time. The mother is never going to agree which means you are simply spinning your wheels. File a motion and let a judge decide.

Also, stop worrying about the cs and keeping it the same etc. In written correspondence you simply say it would benefit the child and point out all the ways it will help the child.
                        Great advise! Thank you. The only thing I need some clarification on is the fact that child has aged be considered a change in material circumstances?

Especially agree with you on
                        The mother is never going to agree which means you are simply spinning your wheels.
                        That's exactly the case.

PS. I am not the one who is worried about cs.

Comment

You want mom to admit it though...thats why. If she makes it an issue it will make her look bad.

You have a material change in the sense that the child is somewhat self sufficient—can feed, bathe and dress themself. They are also on a set schedule with daycare being phased out as they age. Going to school is a material change (I am pretty sure) and being old enough to care for themself is also a material change. If she moved then thats a material change.

Comment

I thought age doesn’t constitute as a material change in circumstance?

At least with the case law I’ve reviewed.

Comment

Going to school is a material change (I am pretty sure) and being old enough to care for themself is also a material change. If she moved then thats a material change.
                              I don't think it is- unless Gordon v. Goertz (SCC) has been overturned.

It's a 3 part test:

(1) a change in the condition, means, needs or circumstances of the child and/or the ability of the parents to meet the needs of the child;

(2) which materially affects the child; and

(3) which was either not foreseen or could not have been reasonably contemplated by the judge who made the initial order. (emphasis added).

I'm guessing when the OP says his kid is school aged- he probably means jk or sk, not pre-teen.

OP has a steep hill to climb. Add a sibling on top of that? Bottom line- age is not a material change. OP has not provided any other material change.

So yeah- that "creature" can actually tell you to go kick rocks.
                              Last edited by iona6656; 08-23-2019, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X