No announcement yet.

Need a boost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh shes clever, but that doesnt make it right. Funny that the same poster(s) that dance around it being ok for your ex to hide income and flaunt the law are going through similar issues with their exs...

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
      Oh shes clever, but that doesnt make it right. Funny that the same poster(s) that dance around it being ok for your ex to hide income and flaunt the law are going through similar issues with their exs...
      I never said it was okay for her to hide money. Please quote where I said that. I don't think it is right at all. Don't put words in my mouth.

And it is okay to post to me directly, rockscan. I have no respect for passive aggressiveness.

And I agree, she is clever.

My point, since you both seem to miss it, is that going after his ex may not help all that much to improve HIS financial situation. I think he has urgent financial problems if creditors are calling and his budget is already stripped down. How is he going to fix that? Focusing on how to get child support from her is not an immediate answer.

Originally posted by LovingFather32 View Post
      Ex is bilingual and educated. She could get a higher paying job than me with the government Im sure. I'm pretty sure my financial situation will improve when she follows the order from the courts and finds full time employment.

If I do go to court I'll have my ducks in a row .. and yes my financial situation will improve. It's looking like that's what needs to happen .. this summer possibly.

I see by his post above that he is hoping/planning that his ex will pay child support to HIM.

This is not a reasonable solution to his immediate financial woes. As OrleansLawyer has pointed out many times, don't budget child support as an income. It could go away at any time. Lovingfather can only control himself and his choices. He needs to make different financial choices quickly.

I am just giving logical, practical advice.
      Last edited by SadAndTired; 06-21-2016, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Quite an interesting observation Rockscan. :-)

Given her education, etc. I can swing through job postings (there's tons .. and QC border to a certain city is only a 15 minute commute from her home if she plans on using the "my credentials only work in QC" card).

I'll simply show the judge what she's capable of making and I bet I'll be paying nothing in the end .. or she'll be paying me.

Comment

...She kept asking why I couldn't come...
          LF32... There will be many years to come, of school recitals and field-trips, etc. Right now, she's in J/K, so more stuff happens during the day, but eventually, some events will happen in evenings, or right after-school too, and it will balance out.

I'm in the same situation, but my daughter is a bit older now (7). I work full-time to support our kid; Mom is quite content to have everyone else support her and her kids for her, for the last 7+, and more, years.

It is hard when your kids say "can you come to X event?" and you can't make it, but, there will be other times where you can go. If you make the effort, to go, when you are able to, believe me, that your kid will be happy.

It affects us, more than it does them.

Re: Your ex; it's not like she's new to the work force, or never worked before. She has schooling and training, to work in a field, where she could be contributing more, towards the shared costs for your child, resulting in better opportunities for your child. Your judge already told her to seek employment.

Is the reason you're paying "full-support" now, because you technically pay offset support, but there's nothing to "offset" against? I thought that was the case, but I can't remember.

Comment

I believe what LF32 has clearly discussed is that he wants to go to 50/50 offset support rather than full table with s7 expenses clearly stated so that costs are balanced and his ex is paying her share. Hes clearly stated she pays nothing for any activities. Remember in other threads how things like pizza day and field trips are covered by cs? Well his ex is getting cs and NOT paying for non s7 expenses. Hes asking for balance. If she finds a job making more money than him then he will get money but at this point Im pretty sure that he would just like his cs to be fair and reflective of the time his daughter is with them both.

Comment

I believe what LF32 has clearly discussed is that he wants to go to 50/50 offset support rather than full table with s7..
              For me, I was simply asking, because I can't remember all the numerous, prior, long threads about this. I think I remember, that the intent was not only LF32's, but also from the judge and last order, that they should be using offset (or that is the aim), given what the judge directed, and that is why it was stated she should find work?

Seems a reasonable thing to re-visit on LF32's part, if there is no progress being made there, by his ex.

Comment

His order said his ex would find employment and then they would move to offset calculations. Its been almost six months (maybe more) and she still hasnt progressed. She has options in two large centers in that area and she has failed to accomplish anything. The order should have gone farther to say income would be imputed to xx dollars in six months should she fail to find employment.

Comment

Is the reason you're paying "full-support" now, because you technically pay offset support, but there's nothing to "offset" against? I thought that was the case, but I can't remember.
                  Yea the order states that she's to find employment right away .. and it stipulates that it must be full time...then we move to offset.

Running an illegal daycare, having my full CS and accessing all the benefits that Welfare provides seems more attractive to her than working a job.

i.e - I have benefits with my job for D5, but ex says its fine because Welfare covers everything. Why are taxpayer's money being used when it doesnt need to be?

In the end this is not difficult. She is not following an order from Ontario Superior Court and I would like to address that soon.

Comment

Can you quote the order exactly LF?

To me it sounds like if/when ex gets a full time job then child support will go to offset, not an actual order to insist she get a job.

Write it out for us.

Comment

Originally posted by OntarioDaddy View Post
                      Perhaps you should discuss the risks to you in bringing a new case now to reopen your final agreement vs waiting more than 6 months.

Based on what you've said, I also agree that financial counselling would do you better than imputing income.
                      Trust me .. court's the last thing I want.

Financial counselling isn't something I need. I need the other party to understand that court orders are to be followed .. also perhaps that Welfare fraud is against the law.

Its not how Im spending my money my friend. It's how ex will not follow a court order. Going to court is the only action that can rectify that .. not financial counseling.

Comment

I am curious. Since you think your ex is not clever and is fraudulent, lazy and a scam artist, why would you bank your financial future and success on her? On the slim chance of her paying you child support?

You claim your situation is bad.

.. but when the bank account is hurting and the collector's are starting to call, the activities are limited and the headaches increase in the summer unfortunately. I'll figure it out.
                        Do something about it now (instead of just trying to figure out how to get your ex.)

I really don't get it. It just isn't logical. Absolutely go after your ex later if she is scamming the government/you/whomever but get your own financial stuff in order and under control FIRST. Then go after the ex.

And please post the part of your order that says ex must find employment. I am sure most of us would be interested to see how the legally knowledgeable members of this forum would interpret it for you. It might also be good information for others.
                        Last edited by SadAndTired; 06-21-2016, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Trust me .. court's the last thing I want.

Financial counselling isn't something I need. I need the other party to understand that court orders are to be followed .. also perhaps that Welfare fraud is against the law.

Its not how Im spending my money my friend. It's how ex will not follow a court order. Going to court is the only action that can rectify that .. not financial counseling.
                          if you have bill collectors calling then it is how you are spending your money. Financial counselling would probably help you. You cannot blame the ex for that that. If you cannot afford something, then don't buy it or sign your child up for it. Yes it would be nice if the ex did her part, but she isn't right now so you need to plan your expenses accordingly.

The main thing is to get what is going out to be less then what is coming in. People are told to cut back on luxuries. Go with public transportation, if not possible then get a cheaper vehicle or have only one vehicle for the family. Cut back on the pizza days, extra curricular activities just to name two things. I am sure that there is plenty more that you can cut.

did the order specify a time frame for when she was suppose to find work?

Comment

We don't eat out. We don't have cable ... we budget very smart. Collector situation is rectified ...I'm now doing overnight shifts at a group home. I have to work many jobs to cover my ex's need to stay on welfare....a financial counselor would be impressed ...trust me

Perhaps I sounded like we were irresponsible spenders. My bad.
                            I'll continue to find ways to cut back ... but...

I still think that ex has certain responsibilities financially also..plus a court order. So I hope we can soon get back to brainstorming ways to either get her to follow an order ..and the steps I should take if she does not.rather than discuss counselling for me. :-)
                            Last edited by LovingFather32; 06-21-2016, 05:52 PM.

Comment

I still think that ex has certain responsibilities financially also..plus a court order. So I hope we can soon get back to brainstorming ways to either get her to follow an order ..and the steps I should take if she does not.rather than discuss counselling for me. :-)
                              Sure. Brainstorming. How about you write out the part of the order that says she has to find employment so everyone can provide relevant advice?

Comment

Lf... How much are you paying is CS a month?

Day care costs should be slim to none, extracurricular activities should be slim to none of you can't afford it on your own. Pizza lunches are optional and really are not expensive at all. But the big question is... How much are you paying in CS a month?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X