Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most seperation agreement that deal with insurance policies state that one must maintain an insurance policy which means you can't go out and get it just for a hort period of time to cover your court date to prove you have it...and then cancel it. Pretty sure she could take you back to court over that one.

I believe it's set out that way on purpose to avoid just such nonsense.

As the clause state to cover the support payment only if I did not have insurance.
    Not sure I understand what you're trying to say here.

Comment

well it depend how it is worded and mine is worded as it has to cover the support payments till it end. You can take insurance on anyone you want actually.

Comment

To take life insurance out on an ex or spouse, are they not suspose to have a signature from that person??
        I know when i took out life insurance on my spouse, even tho i was owner of that policy, still required his signature!!

Comment

Nope. If you really think about it - why would you require their signature? If you're paying for it out of your pocket and not asking anything of them then there is no reason to even bring it up with them - it doesn't affect them at all.

ETA: Here's a good link that explains about taking life insurance on someone else, what qualifies and what doesn't and why:

Insurable Interest | LifeCover.ca
          Last edited by blinkandimgone; 06-30-2010, 11:57 AM. Reason: the voices told me to....

Comment

thank you!

Comment

You do not need anyone else to sign for an insurance but you. As you are the holder of the policy. The law (well my case) ask that you take an insurance with your ex being the beneficiary so to cover the support payment. So I took mine and will cancel it as soon as court is over.

Comment

Originally posted by Max22258 View Post
                You do not need anyone else to sign for an insurance but you. As you are the holder of the policy. The law (well my case) ask that you take an insurance with your ex being the beneficiary so to cover the support payment. So I took mine and will cancel it as soon as court is over.
                You will be in breach of the order if you do that.... the intent is for you to have the policy until the CP is no longer entitled to receive child support.

Comment

Yeah I think maybe that wasn't quite explained to him properly.

Comment

i understand extremely well, and that is why mine is worded in a way that she can only claim the support and not the full insurance if she is not beneficiary. Beside I do not have child support, just spousal. And yes so be it i will be in breach like she is already.

Comment

Originally posted by Max22258 View Post
                      i understand extremely well, and that is why mine is worded in a way that she can only claim the support and not the full insurance if she is not beneficiary. Beside I do not have child support, just spousal. And yes so be it i will be in breach like she is already.
                      if she is then take her back to court. Tit for tat is not a good idea and will harm you later.

Comment

No by the time going to court does anything the support will be ending, i only have a year to support now so no sense to do that.

Comment

sorry - not relevent
                          Last edited by red6419; 08-04-2010, 07:42 PM. Reason: not relevent

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                          Working...
                          X