X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inheritance

Newbie from Nova Scoita.
    Divorcing after 19yrs.
    I opened a 'stock' trading acct in Sept/08 and put 8k of my RSP money in it.
    In Feb/09 we put 67k of my wifes inheritance in it. (Account in my name).
    Now she wants it all back because it was an inheritance. I also made about 10k using some of my original investment and some of her inheritance.
    Because she gave me the money to put in an account in my name, isn't that the same as saying, 'here, take the money, it's OURS, and go make us some more'?
    Do you think she can get it all back?
    Thanks

Do you think she should get it all back?

Comment

No. 50/50. We spent a good chunk of it. There is only about 34k left.

Comment

Do I have the numbers correct?

You put in 8000.00 dollars,
        Wife put 67,000 dollars.

total = 75,000 + 10,000 (what you made)

Grand total of 85,000 dollars.

Amount left in Account = 34,000.00

Honestly I don't think you should play the stock market any longer. I would ask for the money back too!

Comment

That's funny. We spent a load of it. 10k was purely profit.

Comment

If it was her inheritance, you should not be entitled to it.

Yes, she put it in an account under your name, trusting that you would invest it wisely and make money. It's not like she paid off joint debts or anything, it is still cash and should still be hers.

What did you spend the chunk on? Did you benefit from the things she purchased? You do know she had no obligation to share, but she did. Be happy with that and give her back what is left.

Comment

I'm not asking what you think I should do, I'm asking what is the law under my circumstance. If you don't know the law, I would appreciate your best legal guess. That's all I'm looking for.
              Thanks in advance.

Comment

The law is very clear on insurance money...

It's hers.... and it is excluded from consideration when dividing marital assets.

There is no 50/50 for you.

Comment

So, I wonder what this guy is saying....

The Items That Are Not Included In Net Family Property Calculations

As mentioned above, there are certain items such as life insurance proceeds, gifts, inheritances, and personal injury awards that may not have to be included in your net family property. To exclude these from your net family property, you must have kept these items separate from your other property, and be able to trace these funds from the day you received them.

Not only was it not kept separate, it was kept in an account in my name.
                  I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Comment

but it was kept separate. She did not add it to another account, she did not spend it on a joint asset. She can trace the money from the date it was put in the account, how it grew etc. Maybe it was in your name so that you could access it for investing.

If you want a straight answer you are best to ask a lawyer. You are looking for reasons to claim it as yours and they are weak. She probably intended for you to share it at some point, but the money was clearly hers, was invested and NOT Shared.

You still didn't say what the "chunk" you spent together was for. I am assuming it was a good amount of money and that you enjoyed the benefits. She choose to share that with you. The amount of money you spend trying to get every penny of what is yours is going to cost a LOT. Aren't you happy that she shared in the first place?
                    Last edited by billiechic; 03-15-2010, 04:10 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I think the letter of the law would state the she co-mingled this money in with yours in an account was not even in her name jointly and that it therefore lost it's special status as an excluded property. The fact that profits were withdrawn and spent by you (both?) would seem to further muddy the waters in your favour.

You know the rule about maintaining it's separate status since you quoted it. You also no doubt are reading b/w the lines of the posters who quite clearly think you are screwing her but haven't (yet) come right out and said it.

You're problem is going to be that she will be able to argue with it and turn it into a litigation issue. The law may be on your side, I'm not sure but I think so, but morally you could be in for a fight worth having in her eyes, and we all know who's going to win that fight ------> L A W Y E R S ! ! ! !

Make a reasonable offer to her to avoid having you both cut off your noses to spite your faces.
                      Last edited by dadtotheend; 03-15-2010, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by candlestick View Post
                        That's funny. We spent a load of it. 10k was purely profit.
                        Wow you both spent 50,000 dollars in a very short period of time, over and above your salaries. Hopefully you have something to see for the money.

Does your wife know that the money is now 34, 000? Obviously you can give her back what is no longer there and I believe that the finances were put together and it would now be split 50/50. I suspect you'll spent at least 30 grand on your legal fees to come up with a divorce agreement between the two of you.

Consider it money well wasted!

Comment

Originally posted by dadtotheend View Post
                          I think the letter of the law would state the she co-mingled this money in with yours in an account was not even in her name jointly and that it therefore lost it's special status as an excluded property. The fact that profits were withdrawn and spent by you (both?) would seem to further muddy the waters in your favour.

You know the rule about maintaining it's separate status since you quoted it. You also no doubt are reading b/w the lines of the posters who quite clearly think you are screwing her but haven't (yet) come right out and said it.

You're problem is going to be that she will be able to argue with it and turn it into a litigation issue. The law may be on your side, I'm not sure but I think so, but morally you could be in for a fight worth having in her eyes, and we all know who's going to win that fight ------> L A W Y E R S ! ! ! !

Make a reasonable offer to her to avoid having you both cut off your noses to spite your faces.
                          What he said.

Comment

The law is clear. The funds have been co-mingled. They will now be split.
                            No brainer.
                            Only an idiot would compromise on this.
                            Represent yourself on this issue if you think the lawyers will cost too much.

FN
                            Last edited by FreeNow; 03-15-2010, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Where/what law states that once funds are "co-mingled", they are no longer considered separate?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X