This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laws on division of common law property

Bought a house together 11 years ago, both names on title. I paid mortgage, taxes and line of credit. He paid utility bills, phone, satellite, insurances. Works out to 1/3 of what I was paying. He walked out June 9th and now wants me to sell house or buy him out and assume all debt. What are my rights and does he have a leg to stand on?

Does he agree that he contributed 1/3 to the joint costs? Or does he have a different number?

Comment

yes sent him a spreadsheet with all information and he is not disputing it

Comment

Does anyone know of a good lawyer who is reasonable and deals specifically with common law "divorce" in the Hamilton area? Need one fast, but cannot afford the lawyers who milk the system.

Comment

Originally posted by littlered View Post
          yes sent him a spreadsheet with all information and he is not disputing it
          so as long as he is not disputing it why would you need a lawyer?? Sure you will need one to take his name off the title to the house. You can have an agreement that says he is selling his share to the house to you for x amount of dollars.

You mention that he wants you to assume all debt. I take it there is more then just the house mortgage?

Comment

During that 11 years you must have had agree that the way it was separate was ok with you. If he had not pay anything that would have been a different story, who paid for the maintenance of the house and renovation. As far as i see it is 50/50 in the equity build up.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X