Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collecting Court Costs Awards to Me

Hi There,

I was awarded a good chunk of my court costs from my trial to be paid back by my X. I've allowed more than 1.5 yrs to receive even $1 of payments - of course this hasn't happened. Just wondering if someone could give me some guidance as to how to collect on this judgement or where to even begin.

Thanks!

Anyone have some insight on this topic at all?

Comment

https://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov....esults_EN.html

Comment

I’ve learned since that small claims can’t enforce costs from a family law trial. What is the point of awarding costs?!?!?

Comment

You don’t need another order. You already have an order. The link was ideas on how to get the money

That said, based on Canlii, it seems people often do not pay costs. That’s why the idea that costs for cases involving support can be enforced by FRO is a sneaky sexist policy in disguise. Quite clever actually.

Anyhow, I’m getting off track. I assumed that you collect costs in the same manner that one would collect on a small claims judgement. No need to get an actually small claims order... I think.

Comment

Thanks so much, Janus. So very frustrating. Can't get a straight answer from the family courts or small claims court. I'll read through this and see what I can do. Thanks so very much!!!

Comment

In my situation costs were Ordered to be added to arrears and collected by MEP.

I have heard of people retaining services of professionals to pursue civil collection procedures but I'm sure you can do it yourself. Just call a company and ask them (Consolidated Collection) or some other big company.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X