No announcement yet.

Use of recorded conversations in court

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turns out, some judges absolutely read and focus on unauthenticated and unofficial transcripts and texts. Turns out that some just love it and provide lots of feedback and commentary on it.

Comment

Originally posted by JAAJ2016 View Post
      Turns out, some judges absolutely read and focus on unauthenticated and unofficial transcripts and texts. Turns out that some just love it and provide lots of feedback and commentary on it.
      Not in my experience. Went through numerous judges, which was frustrating. And each one was the same scene—-it was obvious the judge DID NOT read a thing. Unless you are 1st in line on your court date, the judge will have only skimmed the material at best between cases. Again, I expected the judge to be knowledgeable of our case, and give actual feedback on the issues, but instead all they tell you is to go away and come back in 6 months for another settlement conference and repeat cycle till one of you goes broke or gives in to the other.

Comment

I really wish that would have been the case.
        I understand that this judge was recently instated, and I could see that they read the briefs through and through. They lambasted me big time for the transcript and the texts despite the lack of authenticity, date, context, etc., even after I pointed out several issues about its use in its current state. She only cared about my language. That's all. I was advised no fewer than 5 times to get legal counsel if I wished to take my (baseless) case further. My arguments were taken from case laws, in fact. I thought and do think they are sound. No one cared or listened. They only cared about the transcript and outdated and irrelevant texts, as if the last 3 years of our lives clung to this supposed meaningful existence and gave all answers to how to interpret our hell and define our witches and winners. Oh, and they talked a lot about financials, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by JAAJ2016 View Post
          Thanks, Selfrepmom.
          I'm really hoping a judge will recognize that. If it's brought up, I will also draw the judge's attention then to the 2nd language that was used in the conversation yet was not transcribed. How do I know that bad language and threats weren't used in those 4 parts of the conversation...? And so on...
          And then there was the enlarged photo of one of my children with their dad's GF and her kids doing crafts and looking happy. Funnily, that pic was taken 2 weeks ago. I know the date by my daughter's outfit. Ha, it's too much.
          It really is a farce. Anything at all goes.
          did you have that part transcribed at all yourself to see if there were any threats or whatever? If i suspected it at all then I would have at least searched online myself to see what the words meant.

Comment

Originally posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
            did you have that part transcribed at all yourself to see if there were any threats or whatever? If i suspected it at all then I would have at least searched online myself to see what the words meant.
            Yes, but I did not have access to this recording, which was one of my objections in court actually. Only the written transcript was provided as part of the case conference brief. I was already able to identify mistakes in the English hurting that was used by the English speakers so it wasn't a very good transcription anyway. And also when the language was being spoken, like with all other organically occurring 4-way conversations, there is a fair amount of overlapping in voices, and even if I understood language, it would be very difficult to search the words myself.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X