This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women normally initiate divorce 60% of time

Wow, read that women in general - 60% of the time initiate the divorce. It really had to do with the emotional aspects not being truly met by men and women having to hold the household, children and all together.

I'd love to get a woman's perspective on this ... truly a facinating find!

Hubby

Hubby,

In automatic joint custodial states such as michigan, unless one of the parents was proven to be unfit, the divorce rate actually dropped dramatically when automatic joint custody legislation was introduced as law.

Interesting statistic.

Comment

LV,

I don't recall you having the necessary equipment to deem you as being female! Kidding.

You know, you bring a very important point up, some spouses may 'reconsider' seperation/divorce if the grounds for the sepeation/divorce were based on child rearing issues or other emotional aspects that could have been worked out with effort.

Interesting statistic and tactic.

Hubby

Comment

I am a little surprised at this statistic - maybe 'cause I'm on the other end being the female who would have never thought of divorcing my husband (unless he was abusive or had a serious substance abuse problem)...Funny because society talks a lot about men in "mid-life crises" running off with other women, ect...so I figured it was men who did the most initiating....I wonder though if the men who do these things figure they can do it without repercussion, don't want the expense/hassle of divorce so refuse to "leave their wife" and then the wife gets fed up and files, upping the statistics!!Ok, ok, I know its not that simple and there are lots of reasons for divorce...The joint custody stat doesn't surprise me though...especially because some people tend to use the kids as a tool (as in "he/she is going to pay for this, I'm getting the kids, the house and the biggest child support payments I can). When the ability to do this is taken away (shared custody and hence less support payments) there is less motivation for the person to file, if they are in that "vengeful" state of mind that people often are when they first file. The person who thinks they will get sole custody, often would reconsider because now THEY are going to lose out on seeing the kids half the time too. Hmmm, a little more motivation to work things out maybe?? Again, I know not in all cases but...

Comment

I think its a grey line.
          Initiate maybe, but often this happens after one person has already walked out, or after a relationship is already shot.

The women just have the will to finish it off

Comment

Cough! Cough! One moment just chokin on my celery stick!

Hubby

Comment

Walkaway Wife

The stats are even higher than what hubby says - 2/3 to 3/4 of all divorces are initiated by women.

There's a good article trying to explain this here:
              http://www.divorcebusting.com/db.mv?ARTID=a_walkaway
              Ottawa Divorce

Comment

Divorce rates in joint custodial states.

Originally posted by logicalvelocity
                Hubby,

In automatic joint custodial states such as michigan, unless one of the parents was proven to be unfit, the divorce rate actually dropped dramatically when automatic joint custody legislation was introduced as law.

Interesting statistic.
                I hadn't heard of that until now. No kidding:

"divorce rates are plunging in states where courts typically award custody of children to both parents. A study headed by Richard Kuhn of the Children's Rights Council based in Washington, D.C., found that states with higher levels of joint custody awards in 1989 and 1990 "have shown significantly greater declines in divorces in the following years through 1995, compared with other states." Overall divorce rates declined nearly four times faster in high joint-custody states compared with states where joint custody is relatively rare. A large factor, the researchers believe, is that joint custody removes the capacity for one spouse to hurt the other by denying participation in raising the children."
                Ottawa Divorce

Comment

Originally posted by hubby
                  Cough! Cough! One moment just chokin on my celery stick!

Hubby
                  Whats the matter Hubby?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X