Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Old 08-29-2019, 01:33 PM

randomdad123 is on a distinguished road
Default School Uniforms - Section 7 Expense?

My ex-wife just sent me an invoice for high-school uniform costs and expects me to contribute claiming it is a section 7 expense. I've found several cases on CanLii where the judge determined that uniforms are not a section 7 expense. I'm not crazy to refuse to pay here, right?

A few additional details for context. Combined income of around $190k. Monthly child support is close to $2800 for three kids. Uniform cost is around $500.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:38 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

This was discussed in other threads previously. Do a search on the forum to see what those comments are. They go back and forth.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:41 PM

Thanks rockscan. I saw the previous posts but wasn't sure if anyone could provide more context or insight for my specific situation. I've already refused anyway so I'll just see where it goes. She'll likely try to get FRO to collect but I don't think they will collect for section 7 expenses not specifically outlined in the separation agreement.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:07 PM

They could do it but you could dispute it. If she comes back you can point out the cost per month for the uniforms and advise that the annual cost for them is covered adequately by child support.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:11 PM

Excellent. I'll just sit tight for now and assume nothing will happen. No point stressing over anything until it happens. Thanks again for the help
Old 08-29-2019, 04:48 PM

iona6656 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomdad123 View Post
Thanks rockscan. I saw the previous posts but wasn't sure if anyone could provide more context or insight for my specific situation. I've already refused anyway so I'll just see where it goes. She'll likely try to get FRO to collect but I don't think they will collect for section 7 expenses not specifically outlined in the separation agreement.
I thought FRO doesn't collect on section 7- even if it's specifically addressed in the separation agreement/final order?

My ex was fighting me on the uniform issue- so I made it part of our final order. Our agreement can be enforced by FRO if necessary....but I thought FRO only collects on CS?
Old 08-29-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iona6656 View Post
I thought FRO doesn't collect on section 7- even if it's specifically addressed in the separation agreement/final order?

My ex was fighting me on the uniform issue- so I made it part of our final order. Our agreement can be enforced by FRO if necessary....but I thought FRO only collects on CS?

They can collect on everything anyone puts forward. Thereís a poster on here who is fighting to have school expenses sorted out after his ex submitted over seven grand in other expenses like a gym membership and video games. Unless you dispute it, they accept it.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:18 PM

iona6656 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post
They can collect on everything anyone puts forward. Thereís a poster on here who is fighting to have school expenses sorted out after his ex submitted over seven grand in other expenses like a gym membership and video games. Unless you dispute it, they accept it.
woooow. I had wondered by my lawyer was so SUPER insistent that all of D3's additional potential section 7 costs were included. Under schooling- he included, uniforms, school trips, school lunches (which I totally forgot that we get billed separately for the food), summer camps and before and after school care.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:39 PM

tilt is on a distinguished road

If your combined income is $190,000 and you are both fighting over paying $250 each once a year ... you arenít fighting about the money. Just pay it for the good of your kid and move on.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iona6656 View Post
woooow. I had wondered by my lawyer was so SUPER insistent that all of D3's additional potential section 7 costs were included. Under schooling- he included, uniforms, school trips, school lunches (which I totally forgot that we get billed separately for the food), summer camps and before and after school care.

My husbands ex submitted application costs and camp that he did not agree to. They were not section 7 and he disputed it. Took about four months and several calls to FRO but he was successful.

This is where I am surprised at FRO and the haphazard way they approach things. For us FRO said that they canít calculate the percentages but they accepted what she submitted as arrears. For the gentleman I referenced they took the list of expenses and took some off saying not a section 7 but accepted others like the xbox game. Others on here have said that FRO told them they couldnít submit anything. It is so ridiculous.

Tags
cost, section 7, uniforms