Sole RESP and child support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sole RESP and child support

Hi my kid is planning to live with my ex for university. I have set up an RESP after our divorce and I’m the sole contributor. Can the excess RESP be used towards child support?
    Will I need to pay full child support (table amount) AND extraordinary expenses? Will my RESP contributions count as MY contribution to her university fees or will it be considered the child’s contribution?
    Thanks in advance for advice!

There is a pinned post on post secondary expenses on the forum. You should review that.

Short answer, if kid is living with ex then you pay cs. The expenses will be tuition, books and other school fees. You can use your RESP for your share. It will depend on your fund how the money is withdrawn. The grant has to be used for tuition.

Comment

Sole RESP

Hi thanks for the reply! I’m new here so don’t really know how to go to (or search) pinned posts?

Comment

Originally posted by Nba2709 View Post
        Hi thanks for the reply! I’m new here so don’t really know how to go to (or search) pinned posts?

In the financial issues section it will be at the top. Or search “1/3” and it should pop up.

Comment

That pinned thread seems to be missing. I can’t find it anywhere
          Reading, it looks like there are different ways school is paid for. Is there a most often way ? Wondering if grant portion counts as child’s third or parents? Does resp from marriage get used first, and then things are split into thirds, or is the resp from marriage split in thirds as well?

Comment

I agree, looking for the info now as I'm embarking on this journey myself and appreciate the advice and guidance provided

Comment

https://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/...ad.php?t=19698

Comment

Thank you! Will bookmark this

Comment

Something I struggle with in these cases is that calculations always seem to be based on a child living with one parent. In my case, it's 50/50 and there is significant support paid because of disability of the receiving parent.

I get the argument that something is covered by support, but when "offset" is being paid, and the recipient doesn't pay, how do you deal with that situation? Is it just a loss? For example, while my ex is the support recipient, is she expected to pay the "Application cost"? Historically, she has refused to pay and I'm left with the choice of a) having the child pay it, or b) pay it and cut my losses? This seems to be a gray area and I have a hard time understanding why that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilligan View Post
                    Something I struggle with in these cases is that calculations always seem to be based on a child living with one parent. In my case, it's 50/50 and there is significant support paid because of disability of the receiving parent.

I get the argument that something is covered by support, but when "offset" is being paid, and the recipient doesn't pay, how do you deal with that situation? Is it just a loss? For example, while my ex is the support recipient, is she expected to pay the "Application cost"? Historically, she has refused to pay and I'm left with the choice of a) having the child pay it, or b) pay it and cut my losses? This seems to be a gray area and I have a hard time understanding why that is.

Depending on the cost of things, its not unreasonable for the kid to pay it. I believe applications are about $100 unless they are out of school. You could pay it and then take the $30 your ex owes you and subtract that from her share of expenses.

As far as school is concerned, if you are 50/50 then her share is 1/3 the cost. If she refuses to pay it then she is making her kid suffer and they should be saying something since it impacts them and they are an adult.

Comment

OK, but to be clear, we are 50/50 but her income is substantially less because she is on LTD. Historically, I've been on the hook for CS as well as pro-rated section 7. I'm expecting my ex to pay only about 25% of "2/3" of the expenses. Am I wrong on this?

For me, the real kicker is in figuring out what the impact of CS would be if the child stays local or wants to go away for university (which they are leaning towards). Reduction in CS if they go away would mean more paid towards child's education but the financial impact for me would likely be indifferent if they stayed local.

Comment

Not necessarily. Remember that grants and other awards come off the top. If your child uses moms income on their osap application then they will likely get more grant funding. Plus if they go away and it’s difficult for you and their mom, they may be expected to contribute more.

Your best first step would be to work with your child on their school choices and expenses. Then have the discussions about smart financial planning. It will may figuring out how to pay for it a lot easier.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X